CMMODS is the central clearing house for mods, and quite a few other things (e.g. the emergency stockpile of scenarios from the original and now-defunct Scenario Depot). Sound mods aren't as extensivly covered as graphics mods, but they're still there.

I can only think of one language mod off the top of my head, but it's very good: the sound quality is a bit weak, but the voice acting is very much superior to what came with the games. There are a quite a few replacement sounds, some of them fairly extensive, and everybody and their cousin has done alternative introductory music.

Thanks Philippe,

Actually, I love CMMODS and have downloaded quite a bit of graphics MODS from there, but did not think to check for wav mods until after posting! There are a few; very few. There is one under a file name of something-maxim and it has some music and one or two voice files. Oh, well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think you may not be looking at the site carefully enough. I've posted about half a dozen introductory music mods (some for CMAK, some for CMBB), and several others have done the same. There's a lot of sound material in the CMBB section, and there also used to be quite a bit in CMBO. Off the top of my head I know the Oddball material is in there somewhere, and he's not alone. And there's a very large language substitution mod from about three years ago in CMBB.

Switching individual sounds is a problem, because they all tend to be related to each other in groups and volume: it's pretty weird if your 81mm mortar makes a loud bang when it goes off but your 150mm HE explosion sounds more like a muffled sprrt. If you do one gun or explosion you have to do them all, and make sure they sound right in relation to each other.

Why don't you try sending Oddball an e-mail? I'm sure he know where all the sound material can be found.