CM steals another victory from me!

This is the second time that CM has determined a draw existed in a PBEM game I played despite the previous turn showing me with a 20 point victory

edge the previous turn! In this particular game (the Aachen scenario), I went from a 55% victory rating down to a

34% rating in one turn! Looking at the troops and armor in the area, I had a significant advantage in firepower over my opponent (one Priest and about one and a half platoons versus 12 enemy troops and no heavy weapons)! I went from controlling a majority of victory flags

in turn 13, followed by the final turn (turn 14) showing me holding a minority of

flags despite no fundamental change in the ground dispositions! Give me a break. Even a blind person could see that the German position was hopeless---my opponent even conceded the game by turn 10! I could understand a tactical victory, but a draw?!?! This is the second victory stolen from me by a poor ruling from the CM AI. I swear this game has it in for me. :mad:

Anybody wish to commiserate with me? :(

not especially. Remember the game displays who owns which flag based on the information you can see, not the real result. Once the game ends then you see the real result. So if those 12 troops were close enough to the flag to stop it being controlled by you - and yes it must be under your complete control at the end of the game, with no enemy close, you may have seen the flag as yours but once the game ends it counts as disputed.

Never sit back on a flag once its taken its too vunerable to a late counter attack depriving you of points. If you had the opposition so badly beaten that your opponent was going to concede 5 turns previously you should have sustained your presure and pushed him well off the flag.

But thats just the way these things go. I had a draw turn into a narrow defeat due to one T34 sitting 75m from a flag that I had 2 platoons camped out on.

Originally posted by Beta1:

not especially. Remember the game displays who owns which flag based on the information you can see, not the real result.

Actually I didn't know that. So the flags are subjective prior to the final turn. Huh. Live and learn.

Hm. CMBO scenarios tend to be at battalion (say 1500 pts each in a QB) or company (say 500 pts each in a QB) level. Flags are 100 or 300 pt affaires.

Most opponents are pretty equal - well the guys I meet are at least my equals smile.gif So casualty rates tend to be fairly even, or not drastically different anyway. In a scenario with one big flag and two small ones - fairly common - you'd have to get 500 pts ahead of your opponent in casualties inflicted just to negate the effect of the flags. I can't see that happening all too often in my games.

So flags are pretty much dominant for outcomes in my experience.

Regards

Dandelion

hehehe..Well, being the ScottTD's evil victory stealer in the Aachen scenario I'd just like to pipe in with a couple:

1. Yep..them flags lie to ya, Scott. You think you've got 'em and you waltz your inf. over only to discover some filthy enemy squad's sitting under 'em waiting for ya with SMGs. I learnt this the bloody way. :( Don't trust 'em 'til everything in the area is d e a d.

2. The percentages for victory are calculated on casualties along with the flags...so too the global morale, I believe. I find it strange when someone lets me pick off their biggest and best units...e.g. a Panther in a recent small QB...without realising that this is going to make the rest of their forces that much more fragile. By the end game, they're running around like height-adjusted chooks. In our fight, the nifty panzerschrek shot that took out your Sherman therefore counted for a lot in the long run of such a short scenario. Alas, if only my Sicherung squad had been faster with their Fausts at the arse of your Priest! *sigh* Although Aachen doesn't really allow for heavy casualties, at a certain point I believe that heavy casualties render flags almost irrelevant. There's an article about the scoring system at Tournament House's (I presume almost dead?) CM site: http://thforums.com/CMBO/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=58

You might enjoy it. Too many numbers for me to properly understand. (God bless BTS for intuitive wargames, I say!) You'll be better with 'em, I'm sure. I manage kids, you manage stock.

Now...where's your move in the revenge of the Republicans QB??!!