Them darn labels littering my battlefield!

One wish of mine to the future versions of CM is that the current cluttering of words like "eliminated", "low ammo", "routed", "ricochet", "shocked", "abandoned" etc. would be fixed. Right now all you can do is turn them of (shift-G), but then you're likely to miss important things like armour hits or units under fire, at least if the battle is anything larger than the annual gathering of the Jamaican KKK.

So what I'm suggesting is, have a third option to toggle through, which would show only current or very recent (like the last two turns) labels. That way, you'd notice better when a unit is getting low on ammo. After all, you don't really need to be reminded that the tank crew that bailed 40 minutes ago, is still low on ammo as much as that a mortar that is having a firing mission, is low on ammo. Similarly, a light gun that is abandoned, might suffice to be shown as "abandoned" just for a couple of turns. Unit moral status is obviously one of the more important things to know, and by cleaning up the screen of those less important ones, it is easier to tell what's happening. But if you're unhappy with this, you could use the old mode or no labels like before.

And now that I've started, it claims in my manual that Shift-Y shows you the frame rate. Well, it sure doesn't for me. Also, I just yesterday noticed by accident that when watching a replay, clicking the rewind or forward arrows while pressing shift moves the film by 2 sec intervals instead of 10 sec. An' it's had this feature since CMBO. Time to read the manual...

Originally posted by Sergei:

One wish of mine to the future versions of CM is that the current cluttering of words like "eliminated", "low ammo", "routed", "ricochet", "shocked", "abandoned" etc. would be fixed. Right now all you can do is turn them of (shift-G), but then you're likely to miss important things like armour hits or units under fire, at least if the battle is anything larger than the annual gathering of the Jamaican KKK.

So what I'm suggesting is, have a third option to toggle through, which would show only current or very recent (like the last two turns) labels. That way, you'd notice better when a unit is getting low on ammo. After all, you don't really need to be reminded that the tank crew that bailed 40 minutes ago, is still low on ammo as much as that a mortar that is having a firing mission, is low on ammo. Similarly, a light gun that is abandoned, might suffice to be shown as "abandoned" just for a couple of turns. Unit moral status is obviously one of the more important things to know, and by cleaning up the screen of those less important ones, it is easier to tell what's happening. But if you're unhappy with this, you could use the old mode or no labels like before.

A reasonable idea. I second this.

And now that I've started, it claims in my manual that Shift-Y shows you the frame rate. Well, it sure doesn't for me.
Macintosh doesn't have this feature. Are you on a Mac?

Michael

if you could toggle which labels where shown that would be good too.

also, if labels showing different things were at different heights above the battle field.

so there is basically a list or card above a unit with a translucent line (or whatever) to the unit it corresponds to.

then as you rotated/panned the battlefield you would see which labels belong to which unit. right now there tends to be a lot of overlapping.

also, i've had instances where unit A's label seemed to be over unit B because unit A was half off the screen & the label was fully on the screen. IOW the label would not allow some text to be truncated & in keeping itself fully on the screen it moved reletive to it's unit.

it would be nice if this was addressed.

Another vote for the labels fading with time !

I'd also like to include the icons used to show the last sighted position of enemy units .....

However this may all be academic ..... BFC have (understandably) said there wont be any major changes for CMAK and the new engine may not even use this feature !

What I'd rather see in the new engine is a game 'unit status' where event messages appear showing changes to a units current status 'HQ A Co - Pinned' '81mm spotter - Firing'.

Then by clicking on the message the unit is selected/shown on the map.

Originally posted by Sergei:

Seconded.