castrated boats

Arr.

Thick in the action in Rugged defence tournament. I don't know who created this scenario, but the fine gentleman is

1) sadist

2) pacifist

3) both

Now, about the combat mission boats. I've paddled a few rowboats in my time and yes you can reverse the damn things. Easily in fact. If the CM boats are not supposed to be rowboats, why do they move like my poor grandma after the stroke?

Ok, the rowboats I've used were not big enough to carry 10 guys in combat gear, but the principle does stay the same. It does NOT take forever to turn them around, dammit. and they CAN go backwards.

End of rant.

Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

Seeing as their modeled as canvas and wood frame assault boats not row boats then your argument doesn't hold water.

I think Barleymans premise is very few Eastern Front armies used the US model boat.

Point is that

- they are descripted as having a 1 hp engine

- they have a crew member

- they can not move while there are no units (except the lone crew member)in them

- but a 2 men lmg team can move them, and they will cross land that way (slow but steady)

That does not go together. Either they have an engine, then they would be able to move, even with only the crew member in them (in fact they would go faster). Or they are rowed, in which case the crew member is not needed.

The speed they move (slower then "move") is real slow for a boat, even when paddling. And taking a new heading is very easy in a paddled boat.

All in all something that needs looking into for the next engine.

Bertram

Originally posted by Barleyman:

Arr.

Thick in the action in Rugged defence tournament. I don't know who created this scenario, but the fine gentleman is

1) sadist

2) pacifist

3) both

Now, about the combat mission boats. I've paddled a few rowboats in my time and yes you can reverse the damn things. Easily in fact. If the CM boats are not supposed to be rowboats, why do they move like my poor grandma after the stroke?

Ok, the rowboats I've used were not big enough to carry 10 guys in combat gear, but the principle does stay the same. It does NOT take forever to turn them around, dammit. and they CAN go backwards.

End of rant.

I agree with your assessment. I think the secret to that scenario was not to use the boats at all.

Originally posted by Bertram:

The speed they move (slower then "move") is real slow for a boat, even when paddling. And taking a new heading is very easy in a paddled boat.

Reversing a motorized boat can be a bit more tricky, but assuming you can reverse the engine it still won't take 3 minutes. And a motorized boat would move much much faster than the so-called assault boats do.