Please double-check these test results of mine

I was doing tests to figure out what the optics do for spotting and I got strange test results.

Before I use the B or un... words I would like somebody to cross-check my findings. It will only take a few minutes. I don't want to post my test scenario to prevent mistakes I might have made from being inherited.

If you would like to help, please do this:

- open ground

- clear weather

- set up a vehicle in the middle of a 3000x3000m map

- get some platoons with 1+ stealth HQs

- set them up at 1800m around the vehicle

- start game and make them move owards the vehicle

Please do it with vehicle with various optics (Tiger = binocular, 251/10 = narrow, King Tiger = good, Jagdpanzer IV = long-range, captured T-34 = no special optics).

Question:

At what distance does the vehicle (not buttoned up) spot the approching infantry for you (and how does that change for front, side and rear)?

Eh, optics means the quality/construction of the main gun targetting thingie, doesn't it? So, if the turret faces straight ahead and a unit approaches the tank from the right, the tank's optics do not matter at all - in real life. In my very humble opinion, the commander's vision is what counts, e.g. having a cupola or not. For unbuttoned vehicles, the difference in optics should be negligible.

Originally posted by Zarquon:

Eh, optics means the quality/construction of the main gun targetting thingie, doesn't it? So, if the turret faces straight ahead and a unit approaches the tank from the right, the tank's optics do not matter at all - in real life. In my very humble opinion, the commander's vision is what counts, e.g. having a cupola or not. For unbuttoned vehicles, the difference in optics should be negligible.

Exactly. But that is not what is happening in CM.

I was experimenting with the spotting rules for open and closed vehicles with various optics, looking how angles affect it and compared it to infantry with and without binoculars.

The results are overall disappointing in several aspects, and for one single spect I suspect a plain coding bug that, if it is one, should be fixed for CMAK.

But given how the discussion about the spotter identification goes I am not sure what the right way to deal with this is. So I was fishing for the overall iterest level by starting this thread.