CMBO QB attacker bonus??

I'm about to start a PBEM with a friend (only our second PBEM and our fist QB) and we wanted to play a game with me as the German defenders - Infantry only - and him as Allied attacker - combined arms -

Does the QB systems automatically give him a force bonus as attacker or do we have to set this up manually? if so how mauch of an advantage would you suggest, as I'll have a 2000 pnt force, +25% +50% +100%???

Also I'm finding the infantry only aspect of my force prohibitive re selection. If you had 2000 pnts to spend on a QB such as this (large - map - moderate trees - moderate hills - town - random weather - day time - june 44)what would you buy?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

In an attack, the attacker gets a natural 50% bouns. Anything you select would be on top of this. Your friend will have 3000 points.

As for units, if I were your opponent, I would field something like:

2-3 platoons T34/85

Motorized Infantry Batallion

A bunch of 120mm Regimental Artillery

Whatever else looks good

Taking this down without armor can be tough, but you can do it. I recommend the following as a guideline:

Panzergrenadiers: High HQ to unit ratio allows effective command of support units and the companies come with a ton or organic shreks. Buy the company.

AT Guns: 88mm and 75mm. You need to take down his tanks without tanks of your own. AT guns are much cheaper anyway.

Artillery: Several 105mm modules with generous TRPs. On a moderate trees map, you'll have a decent idea where he's coming from. TRP it and pound it.

Fortifications: AT mines are pretty cheap, AP even more so. Use them to funnel his force. Use them in combination with TRPs. Use them to make him move his armor into your gun traps. Don't spread them out too much. Use them to make key areas entirely impassable.

Other: A variety of MGs, sharpshooters and the like to keep him suppressed. At more than 200m, he'll never see them and they can considerably slow his infantry advance.

Good luck.

/*

Edited to reflect the fact that I'm an idiot and I gave you advice for CMBB.

*/

[ July 03, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Slappy ]

large map - moderate trees - moderate hills - town - random weather - day

time - june 44)what would you buy?

I think he's more likely to come with 122 or 152 assault guns than with T-34s.

You also have a large map, which means he'll be able to find a number of ways into your town. As the defender you need to be able to shift your forces.

Be sure to read the town defense thread we had a few days ago.

Basicallly you want to be able to build mutally supporting strongpoints all over the place. Everytime he goes somewhere you'll shoot him in the side and if he turns to attack that shooter, another strongpoint shoots him in the back.

Small high-firepower squads are an advantage in a town fight because more fit in a building and less man die from HE hits. A couple of HMGs should be mandatory. I'd get a small number of moderately high class AT guns, if you get them cheap captured 76mm, otherwise 75mm or 105mm howitzers. But in general given the map layout you likely face the recoiless rifles are a better choice because you can move them much faster. But only if you get them without paying rarity. 50mm mortars will be useful to impede his movement.

You would usually not try to defend the outermost houses. If you feel you will do that you need long-range AT guns to keep him from blowing these houses up. But generally it is better to have him come into the outer houses with his infantry, then block his infantry and wait for him to figure out how his armor can break the lock. You need to predict his armor movements and you should seek to ake likely places he'll be firing from deathtraps. AT mines. If its inside town and cover is near, short-range AT infantry. If it is outside, an AT gun and a TRP. Sharpshooters need to cover the tank routes, button them up and seperate their infantry bodyguard from them.

Not sure what to do amout artillery, to actually hurt him in a town you need pretty big stuff, which requires TRPs and gets expensive. Spotters have a hard time being in good places in towns. 81mm mortar ones are useful for blocking.

Pioneers might be useful, but they have a tendency to blow up buildings they are in, killing themself. The flamethrowers for the Germans are not real cheap either, so it's a mixed bag.

More tips:

Watch your victory points. Don't get sharpshooters killed. Evacuating crews, especially large gun crews, has priority. Go after enemy crews. CMBB battles (both Quickbattles and most scenarios) have so few flags that losses dictate the outcome.

MG bunkers can be fun, not because they are that effective, but they hypnotize the attacker. A bunker and some ambushes in places that people will move through to take it out.