Tiger Fibel Notes on Tiger Accuracy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a APHE shell predetonates, theres a good chance that would become severely unbalanced since its unlikely that a balanced amount of material will blow away. Since the shell is spinning at great rotational velocity, this would make the shell very unbalanced and its translational progress would be severely impaired.

Originally posted by Mr. Tittles:

Depends by what you mean by burst.

The usual meaning of the word.

Of course it will explode and escape the vessel (cavity).

Or, as we English speakers say, it will burst.

It may 'burst' the part in the rear of the shell that has a cavity in it. But it would not be more than minimal pieces.

[snips]

I would be very surprised if the fuse and one to three large pieces are generated (and at a low velocity also).

I'm confused, you seem to be contradicting yourself again. Is there a "not" missing from the above sentence?

You seem to be arguing that the number of fragments created would be very, very small indeed -- unbelievably small, in fact. Why should the fragmentation not follow the normal negative exponential size distribution for uncontrolled fragmentation, as indicated by Mott's equation?

I think a reference to an authoritative source would be a much more satisfactory answer than a repetition of your personal opinion.

All the best,

John.

I did ref a thread but I'll leave it to you to search if you care to. If you don't care to, that would be fine too.

I think you are missing the point and getting confused.

The point is that a large capacity APHE that predenonates WILL blow more of its mass AND destabilize itself MORE than a small capacity APHE. This is all in responce to the claim that APHE 'go off like grenades'. They don't. Grenades shatter into many pieces. APHE shells shatter into fewer. In fact, those APHE shells with very small cavities shatter into quite few pieces. Since these pieces are acually being shot off the back of the shell there's other consequences also.

You are trying to say that I am saying that a burster that bursts won't burst the shell? Is that it? OK. I am not saying that. Pretty unconfusing actually.

[ July 01, 2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Tittles ]