Russian realism chrome for scenario design

Troops,

I've been rereading my Viktor Suvorov books lately and came across a couple of intriguing bits of info to add realism to the way the Russians are portrayed. Viktor Suvorov is the pen name for one Vladimir Rezun, who defected from the GRU (Soviet military intelligence) in the 1980s, but before he joined the GRU, he commanded a BTR-60 platoon and later a tank company. Here are the insights.

The very best troops in a given formation are the reconnaissance troops, for on them offensive success depends.

A line battalion's best troops are in the 1st Company, and that company also has substantial recon training.

The 2nd Company has the mediocre troops, and it also has some recon capability. Maybe things are better in wartime, but Suvorov was the only officer in his entire 10 tank company--no deputy company commander and no platoon leaders! This caused major excitement when an overzealous desk jockey removed him from command, discovering himself suddenly with a field command.

3rd Company gets the dregs. In peacetime, it doesn't even usually have men. In wartime, it's filled out with reservists.

Regards,

John Kettler

David I,

True, but from everything I can tell, it was done that way during the War as well. The Red Army is

a highly conservative institution, and from everything I can tell, its traditions are old and revered, hence have been carried on with little deviation since the War.

Also, forgot to mention the other pearl I discovered. Rank is based on position, not seniority. Suvorov recalls walking in to report to the regimental commander, a Lt. Colonel, only to find him sitting in a chair in front of his own desk, behind which sat a Major. Suvorov had to obtain permission from the latter in order to report to the former. Why? Because the Major was

in a powerful divisional slot , at least a deputy division commander, thus having way more juice than a mere regimental commander.

Here's an even better one. Suvorov, a mere Senior Lieutenant, was deep selected from tank company CO to 13th Army intelligence staff, in the process displacing a Lt. Colonel and taking his job.

The way this works is that you're thrown in at the deep end. If you manage to swim, better yet, swim well, promotions will fall like rain on your shoulders. In a short time, you will hold the high rank the position would normally require. If you fail, plan on cold climes or desert and a long ugly climb to any promotions at all. The Red Army,

you see, has no up or out policy like the U.S. military has. Rather, it's more like the old Royal Navy, where if you didn't have the skill, brains, and connections, you might stay a 3rd or 2nd Lieutenant forever, unless killed, invalided out or pensioned off.

Seniority only matters when two officers of the same rank hold equivalent positions. Then and only then does it enter in.

Regards,

John Kettler