CMAK and CMX request - Fuel/Petrol/Gas

Okay, I searched for any of "fuel petrol gas" as titular keywords and came up "empty" ;)

I was wondering if there are any plans to incorporate fuel limits into future game "engines"?

Any of you that have played ASL Kampfgruppe Peiper scenarios know what I'm driving toward: the ability to model vehicles running out of fuel mid-battle. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a gas gauge that tracks fuel just like we currently track ammo. I'd even be happy with a crude one that has a straight consumption rate based on time and speed, with no accounting for terrain slope or other loading factors.

Hmmm,shows how much i know.I thought this already was modeled.What is the bar with a number beside it in a tanks weapons slot?You know,where it shows how much mg ammo you have.I thought that was the fuel indicator

:confused:

[ July 04, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

Originally posted by Nippy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by nevermind:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Panzerman:

That's the main gun ammo... ;) Fuel is not modeled in CM.

I guess your right,what a pointless little doodad. </font>

I can't decide whether this would be a worthwhile addition or not. My initial reaction would be to agree with those who say that such a consideration lies outside the scale of a CM fight. If a tank or other vehicle is going to run out of fuel, it will most likely do it either before or after. But I suppose there must have been an occasional exception, in fact, I may have read of some. The question is whether it would realistically come up often enough to warrant inclusion in the game. Remember, the time spent coding and testing this feature would have to come out of something else. So what would you be willing to give up? Multi-turreted tanks, for instance? A more sophisticated artillery module?

Michael

Running out of juice, in the midst of battle was pretty embarassing and I would have to suggest, actually quite rare. POL are one of the first things a driver checks on his first parade service and a good unit commander (or rather his SSM [squadron Sergeant-Major] ;) ) will always attempt to endeavour to make sure that his unit is supplied with adequate POL for the day's planned operations.

The predicament of Pieper was indeed pretty unusual, as his unit and others were sent out, essentially with their tanks full and told thats it, you'll have to capture the rest. The only other accounts I'm aware of AFVs running out of juice were of in the Western Desert, and they did so out of battle, rather than in the middle of one, during the chaos of a retreat which was almost a rout.

What would normally happen, unless indeed you are modelling the Ardennes, would be that the driver would normally notice if his tanks were nearing empty and he would alert his commander who in turn would order a withdrawal to a resupply point. As vehicles would also be withdrawing to rebomb up with ammunition, this would see a fairly constant flow of vehicles back and forth across the battlefield in the course of a day. However, that time period is pretty outside that of CM's, which is intended to represent, as far as I can tell, engagements rather than "battles" as such. In real life, its the period between engagements which are when resupply usually occurs.

While I'd like some sort of means to design scenarios which would model varying levels of POL availability, I don't think its necessarily that important, for the reasons I've just given.

Running out of fuel in combat is one of those very rare events that sounds good, but in reality wouldn't be worth the trouble to code. Remember this game is a realistic (?) simulation of engagements, not ww2 as seen on TV. If you want to simulate fuel problems, set up a battle, then drive a random number of your vehicles off you side of the board, these representing the vehicles that reported insufficient fuel when ordered to prepare for action.