Infantry Killing Pillboxes

First, Congrats to BFC on the Wargame of the Year award! Great to see the press recognizes what we all know already!

Now a Q for you guys: I am in a PBEM playing Axis, assaulting Allies, in my first game against an opponent with lots of fortifications. I have outflanked a couple of his concrete 76mm pillboxes but the FTs are slow in coming up, so I am trying to kill the first one with my panzergrenadiers. 2 turns ago a PzGrndr squad scored a "hit" on the side/rear of the pillbox with a grenade bundle. The next turn they "Assaulted", from the rear, and now appear to be _inside_ the bunker. But they have not encountered the pillbox crew, or fired any weapons, and are now just kneeling inside (apparently) the pillbox in "ready/ok" status. The pillbox still shows a red base indicating it is Soviet controlled. I have no units in front to take fire from the pillbox so don't know if it is really "dead" or not.

So, what gives? Is this a "death clock" situation, and the pillbox is probably knocked out? Or can they not really enter the pillbox, and are just leaning against the rear wall having a smoke? If the latter, I suppose I will have to move them away some before targeting more grenades to avoid them blasting themselves? Can grenades or grenade bundles even kill concrete pillboxes?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Or can they not really enter the pillbox, and are just leaning against the rear wall having a smoke?
You cannot enter a pillbox, whether enemy or friendly, so although the graphics show your men inside they are actually outside of it.

Is this a "death clock" situation, and the pillbox is probably knocked out?
Bunkers and Pillboxes are coded as vehicles, so yes they do go through the death clock before dying.

I just tried the scale hotkey and the men scale along with the pillbox, and appear to be inside at each size level.

Would love to post a pic but not sure how. I think I have to put it up on a webpage somewhere and then post the link here in the forum? I have a Yahoo briefcase...would that work?

To Nevermind: I have made a screenshot and if I can't post it I can email if you send your address....mine is long_nosed_stug@yahoo.com

I guess I will assume the bunker is still alive and I will have to pull back and wait for the FTs. Sorry to tell you, Venjra, but they are not far behind. :)

- Matt

What you gotta remember is this is all abstracted somewhat. So when they throw a grenade bundle at even a pillbox, they could be trying to drop it in ventilation shafts, or through the slit, etc.

I dont think your troops can enter pillboxes...

If its got a red base its alive or has a few seconds left to live (dead but death clock is still tickin)

Your troops can engage vehicles and pillboxes at anywhere from 20-40m depending on the range, closer too of course but thats my fav range- I like em covered up unless I know they wont get shot moving to the rear of the pillbox

Hitting pillboxes from the rear seems to be the most effective tactic for killing them but that usually isnt possible to do safely in most of the situations i've encountered...

Edited for head trauma

[ March 06, 2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Sublime ]

Originally posted by SFJaykey:

Would love to post a pic but not sure how. I think I have to put it up on a webpage somewhere and then post the link here in the forum? I have a Yahoo briefcase...would that work?

To Nevermind: I have made a screenshot and if I can't post it I can email if you send your address....mine is long_nosed_stug@yahoo.com

- Matt

I apreciate the offer,but theres no need to mail,was a passing fancy.About the yahoo breifcase,I think that would work,but they have a limit on maximum number of "views" or something.If you left it up for any length of time it would get temporarily shut down due to over use.

Good luck with the FT's

:D

I'd pull 'em back away 10 to 20 meters and then AREA TARTET the pillbox. This way, even if they've used up their grenade bundles they will continue to lob regular grenades at the pillbox.

They might not be continuing to attack due to the proximity of their munitions to the actual squad. (Don't want to blow up the squad leader!) smile.gif

Also, a "HIT" doesn't have to mean it's KO'd.

Good luck.

Gpig.

P.S. I too, am in the Bay area (Oakland). Garden is getting there. smile.gif