Yelnia History and lack of detailed coverage

Has this battle in the late summer and fall of 1941 ever received a formal and detailed treatment other than a chapter (or so) in a book? Has anyone seen a book devoted to the topic? I have "Thunder on the Dniper" "Panzer Leader" etc.

I am trying to better understand the postion of units and where the small villages ringing Yelnia

really are. Many thanks for the help if you can.

Kevin

Boots and Tracks

Not much out there that I am aware of. 'Thunder on the Dneipr' is one of the best. Besides that, you can read the unit histories of the units that were present. Grossdeutchland was there, for example, and has some excellent histories available.

If you are willing to invest the time (they require some skill to read), I think Glantz has a map atlas on the Smolensk battles. They consist of original German operational maps, and are the BEST source for actual unit positioning on the East Front, IMO. I lost the link where they are sold. Kip Anderson would know.