Paul Carell

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by V:

According to Amazon.co.uk it is written by Anthony Rogers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0304361518/026-3900129-1978068

I don't know if there are any other books of the same title, so I assume this is the one.

Amazon US lists this one and another of the same title by a different author. I suspect this is the one Andreas means, but I want to be sure before I spend my money.

Michael </font>

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Andreas:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Keke:

Well his perspective in the article is English-speaking world, not German nor Soviet, so he is not "wrong" in that sense.

Well he is wrong, in a factual sense, if you quote him correctly, "Beginning on the early 1960's, an increasing number of able historians began producing accounts of war and operations on the German Eastern front.". The accounts were begun in the 1950s. Some accounts were translated in the 1960s into English. Yeah I know I am being anal about it. So what?</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by V:

According to Amazon.co.uk it is written by Anthony Rogers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0304361518/026-3900129-1978068

I don't know if there are any other books of the same title, so I assume this is the one.

Amazon US lists this one and another of the same title by a different author. I suspect this is the one Andreas means, but I want to be sure before I spend my money.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Keke:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Keke:

There may be historiographical studies about the Eastern Front that take into account every national perspective with a God-like overview, but I haven't found one.

Originally posted by Andreas:I am not sure what your point is.
My point is that Glantz's article is from perspective of English-speaking world. Nothing more, nothing less. </font>

I am not aware of such studies either, but that makes it all the more frustrating that Glantz is relying on dubious source material for the Germans, instead of applying the same standards for the German sources as he does for the Soviet sources. Would you not rather read a study of Kursk that is using Soviet and German archival material? Or would his 'From the Don to the Dnepr' not be a much better book (and I think it is very good already) if he had used the KTBs of the German formations involved?

Of course they would. I'm sure that Mr. Glantz has enough work dealing with Soviet archives, and in order to actually produce something he has to make some short-cuts. It's undesirable, but quite understandable.

The main reason that Glantz makes only a limited use of any kind of german language sources is quite simple. He doesn't know the language.

He brought in his daugther to do the translation of the german sources used in "Zhukov's greatest defeat" which meant that that book IMHO has a much better view from the German side of things.