Is there only the 'draw a line' line of Sight? I wish there was a highlight/shadow version for the basics. I want to lay a man down to guard a area, and I have to darw a line everywhere at all distances to be able to try and figure aout what he can and cannot see. Is there some thing that I have missed, in that there is a basic line of sight which will highlight what ground he can and cannot see on the map.

The locked unit view does not give me a good indication because of the graphic quality, especially the trees or maybe I have it wrong, nah no way, this is me we are talking about :D

Is there a way besides moving a unit around then doing the line of site of actually getting a line of site 1st from a location? I know the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Is there a way besides moving a unit around then doing the line of site of actually getting a line of site 1st from a location? I know the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Sometimes, when I'm not sure, I plot a move and then a ROTATE command at the end. Then I look at the "rotate" line and see if it has to bent a lot because of the terrain and if there's more than one block of woods inbetween. If it does, then the LOS to that point is likely to be blocked. You can move the waypoint to another location, then.

But usually I just trust my eyes and instinct (which comes by experience). Either way it's not 100% sure, but then that would be unrealistic.

If telling the map contours is too difficult (it is for me), then there are terrain grid mods at the CMMODS. I use them, they make it that much easier to perceive the gradients without hugging the earth at level 1.

The locked unit view does not give me a good indication because of the graphic quality
OM(F)G pleeeeeze don't disrespect the graphics!! Have you compared this game to other tactical wargames? The CM games are incredible leaps forward in graphics. That being said, the trees etc. displayed are modelled indirectly, so when you see a tree, the unit sees "60% Line of Sight deterioration due to trees" tongue.gif:D

Shift T turn off the Trees

Shift C will make your units BIGGER

What happend to who

Shift G will turn on warning labels which is VERY handy at the begining of the battle to tell who is taking fire.

Shift B will toggle the unit bases on and off

Shift I will remove smoke graphics

can't find who is embarked on what vehicle? : Shift V will make all vehicles disappear

You should ALWAYS start the battle with warning labels ON this will REALLY help at first contact

oh... and another thing this is not just another "video game" it is an historically accurate small unit tacitical WWII combat simulator.

EVERY attempt has been made to remove and "gamey" tools that do not add to the REALISM of the game like getting LOS from ANYWHERE to anywhere when you don't have units on the ground that can spot from that location.

Please read the comments from the CREATOR in my signature below if this concept is still unclear.

smile.gif

good luck in you next combat mission battle simulation.

-tom w

[ May 03, 2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

aka_tom_w,

Whilst I agree with you for "in the game", however, during the setup phase this would be a usefull tool. Instead of moving a unit to find I have it in the wrong place and have to move it again for the 10th time. Especially as I have found that the AI normally puts my anti tank gun in a easy to kill spot.

BTW, about my AT gun, some hint's would be great, just so that they survive past the 1st 2 minutes.

KanaljeFätter,

A thousand 'most humble apologies' :D Tiss that it is hard to quit make out what I am seeing or not at times.

Sergei,

Yes I do have great difficulties in making out the terrain gradients, and as I video card is not that fast I generally don't get a good feel at the ground level as I 'snail' along, and tend to loose prespective of where I am to where I start and want to end at.

Where is the gradient mod? URL please.