It's so damn hard to get a complete winter mods set...

CMMODS is a very well organized site, but it's still really trying to get a complete set of Winter BMPs.

Scipios Winter Mod Packs are certainly a step in the right direction. You download one infantry pack for each side, and one pack for every T-34 out there, and some other models.

To the contrary, downloading single mods for every german sub tank type really takes a lot of search and time. Aside that it seems that I can't find winterrized versions of many tanks at CMMODS at all...guess that means they aren't done yet?

What I'd propose, and I would be willing to help with that effort, is setting up a website with mod packs similar to Scipios, offering a complete winter environment for CMBB.

This could also be done offering complete mod packs for other stuff, like say "general object upgrade" or "landscape upgrade" or whatever similar comes to mind.

OF course we would need to get permission from all moders first.

What are your ideas on that problem? Did I miss a site somewhere that does this already?

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

I tried CMMOS once and didn't understand it.

I didn't get the "rules" system at all.

It's cool to see that someone has taken up this work, but it could be so much easier if it was just a .bmp pack you drop into your folder.

Before I saw the light I used to feel the same way about CMMOS.

If you really don't want to give it another try (go on, you might surprise yourself), you can always do what I did. It's very simple - if a little time-consuming and perverse - to download Gordon's stunning packs and unCMMOSify the bitmaps.

Before I upset or dishearten anyone else, I'd like to stress you should only do this for your own personal enjoyment and satisfaction.

It might be an idea to back-up your bmps folder before you try it, too.

Teddy

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

CMMODS is a very well organized site, but it's still really trying to get a complete set of Winter BMPs.

What I'd propose, and I would be willing to help with that effort, is setting up a website with mod packs similar to Scipios, offering a complete winter environment for CMBB.

Ask Lou2000 about using Kazaa or WinXM(?) to host those mod packs. Heck, you could even host them yourself. But there's a couple things you need to think about:

1. Getting permission from the modders

2. Having a connection that's at least 384k (768 or 1500 would be optimal).

3. Dedicating the time to maintain those mod packs when they need updating

4. And lastly, keeping it going longer than a couple weeks.

What you propose sounds great on paper, but it really a hell of a lot harder to keep running than you might think. Getting it up and running is only 1/3 of the battle. Maintaining it is the other 2/3.

Good luck with your endevour. I hope you succede, then I won't have to host the mods anymore. ;)

COG

[ February 01, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: ColumbusOHGamer ]