Trenches in buildings!

Someone has sent me the Pavlov's house scenario to play by email: I am playing Russian. In the original set-up, Pavlov's house - which is a heavy 2 storey building - has a number of trenches running through it. :confused:

In real life, digging multiple trenches inside a heavy building from end to end is not something I would expect to see. 1) Is this some kind of CMBB convention which is supposed to simulate a fortified building? 2) Are the defensive benefits of the trench cumulative to the defensive benefits of the building? 3) Is it "gamey" to have trenches in buildings? and 4) Do you think the trenches in question would be better dug outside as nature intended?

I have checked the rules on trenches very carefully and cannot find answers to any of the above points. I would be very grateful if someone could enlighten me.

Best wishes,

Richard. smile.gif

I think this is to give the defenders an advantage representing the fact that they have all avenues of approach covered with ambush points, sniper holes, sandbags and rubble, etc.

Normally it's not even possible to place trenches in buildings, but AFAIK this can be circumvented by first placing the trench to a valid point and then changing that map square to a building via the map editor.

Originally posted by Richard Morgan:

In real life, digging multiple trenches inside a heavy building from end to end is not something I would expect to see. 1) Is this some kind of CMBB convention which is supposed to simulate a fortified building?

I think that you hit the nail on the hit there - it is a nice attempt to represent a fortified strong point building: sandbagged crawlways & mouseholes; bunkers constructed inside rooms; revetted ceilings lined with sandbags; armoured loopholes; grenade chutes; rooms filled with concertina wire - all that gubbins. Come to that - is it possible to put wire in buildings in the Game?

[ April 27, 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Determinant ]