Moving Different Types of Units Together

I have been trying to get tanks to cover infantry on the move. If I find enemy fire mainly coming from one direction I have tried to get the tanks in a diagonal line placing covering fire at the same time providing a shield for the troops.

The trouble has been getting the troops and tanks moving together. I am having to give the tanks very small legs to move to keep them in step.

At the moment I am just trying different ways of using the game as I am new to it. I am not trying this as a winning strategy, just a way of coving an advance. If this is possible could the same idea be used to cover half tracks if they could be moved together with not to much trouble?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

The game doesn't model AFVs stopping fire, so don't bother using tanks as "shields". What you should do is have your tanks set up with fire lanes covering the infantry advance. When your infantry is fired upon, the tanks can wipe out the threat, your infantry will rally, and the advance will go on.