Looking for a book....

I would not go for Carell (aka Paul Karl Schmidt, chief propaganda officer in the Reich's foreign office and editor of Signal), unless you are really keen on the 3rd Reich version of Barbarossa. You know, the one where the Wehrmacht is clean, the SS does not exist, and it was all preemptive to move before evil evil Stalin attacks poor innocent Germany.

Quite apart from the fact that the situation regarding sources has changed a lot since it was published. A very good and serious work is 'The early period of war' ed. David Glantz, based on an Art of War symposium in the 1980s during which military professionals, including a lot of German officers who were present, analyse the opening moves up to the battle of Smolensk. I have heard good things about Glantz' 'Barbarossa' as well.

Good point about Carell, Andreas. I'm currently reading Glantz's "Battle of Kursk." It's excellent, very detailed, very balanced.

Osprey has a recent book in the Campaign series on Barbarossa covering Army Group South. I assume they'll be doing others on North and Center but they are fairly even-handed and have a lot of nice pictures.