russki gunners better tahn german?

i haven't played cmbb more than cmbo but i have noticed something about cmbb. the russian gunners seem to be exceptionally accurate.

now, from what i know of the russians in ww2, their gunners did not have the quality equipment - sights, etc - that the germans had. at least, not up to 1944, i guess.

but when i play the germans i find that russian armoured cars and tanks are taking out my PzIIIs with their first shot. even the fast moving sdkfz251s, which i tried racing full speed across an opening in a wood was shot and destroyed with the first shot. i found this incredible! so, the BA armoured car had seen the 251, turned its turret to face it and fired and destroyed its target instantly. those russian gunners must've been incredible! this is at about 500-750 meters. i was experimenting with a scenario and wanted to see just how accurate the russian gunners were as i've noticed that in a firefight sometimes, the germans will be pummelling away with their better sights and more crew members in their tanks and yet the russians were hitting their intended target with no more than 2 shots and usually, they get a kill with the fisrt shot. i am finding this more and more common.

now, i have never played a multiplayer game so i don't know if this would apply to that, but the single player game is annoying for this reason. also, when i play the russians in the same scenario, i leave setup as before whilst playing the germans but the russians gunners are suddenly quite useless.

i guess this is a 'game balance' thing?

thanks

das

What is the quality of the Russian gunners and the German gunners?

Are the Russian tanks "Hull Down"?

What facings are the respective targets? (a side-on target is easier to hit than ahead on one.)

The game, to the best of my knowledge, does not alter historical data for the sake of "play balence" It's a simulation more than a game.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

What facings are the respective targets? (a side-on target is easier to hit than ahead on one.)

That can't be right. A head on target is much easier to hit. It's either coming straight at you and getting bigger or going away and getting smaller. Both of these situations are much easier than a fast moving target moving sideways to which you have to apply the correct lead to the shot in order that shell and target arrive at the same point at the same time. I don't fancy your chances as an AA gunner or clay pigeon shooter smile.gif

LoL,

I’ve found directly the opposite.

For me it takes a fistful of Russian armor to hit a Panther or a MkIV before all being knocked out themselves.

Keep playing Synchro, I’m sure the law of averages will catch up with your Russian tanks.

I've played the Russians extensively since getting CMBB. The Russians gunners are hardly better than the Germans as you describe. First, not all Russian gunners were inferior to German gunners. Second, it depends on situation, terrain, weather, a bit of luck, and most of all experience. A veteran/crack Soviet gunner is of course going to have better gunner skills than some green kraut gunner even if he has a better scope especially at medium and short ranges. Third, if you find you are constantly getting waxed by the computer AI then most likely the problem isn't the AI or which side your on. The problem is your lack of appropriate tactics and strategy. I constantly read about how players keep losing gross amounts of Soviet armor to German ones all the time on this board. Under certain unfavorable circumstances, this is to be expected. However, most of the time this is a result of the player trying to use German tactics with a Soviet force. This is just a huge mistake. You might be able to get away with it with late war Soviet armor, but certainly not with early to mid Soviet armor. For example, going head-to-head in a long rage gun duel is an almost a sure way to lose if you are the Soviets.

IF you play the Germans and find Soviet gunners to have an "unfair" advantage, then you have either not played the game long enough or there is some significant differential against you (like terrain or experience of crews or lack of proper tactics). However, you can also have rotten luck and that sometimes happens.

A side on target is a larger target, and if it isn't going very fast (as few tanks can) it is easier to hit.

The tanks shell will travel the 500 metres to target, in which time the target will have covered some 10m, assumuing absolute best conditions for speed (which you only get if you're on a road) Plus it will be travelling at a constant speed, making it easy to calculate lead.

By comparison, a hull down, head-on target is a much more difficult propostion.

In addition, firing on the move greatly reduces your shooting accuracy - see the western desert for historical detail.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks,guys

i guess i'm just used to playing CMBO more. i bought CMBB as soon as it came out but have hardly played it really. well, compared to CMBO. the graphics are better, you have more and better tactical options than CMBO with the pull down menu yet i still keep playing CMBO.

i think it would probably be my tactics. but in the battle i was talking about the BA10 was firing from about 400 yards, was a regular unit, and, as i rem it, there were some light obstacles in the way, ie, low brush and fences. i used 3 251s to race across an opening in the woods [on a road/track] to draw the BA10's fire whilst i manouvred a PzIIIto it's front, and another to it's right to use partial cover and take the thing out as it had already destroyed several armoured cars and 2 other 251s. also, it was behind a low fence - the BA10,that is - in no cover and once the pnzers were moved forward they had clear LOS.

anyway, the first 251 was travelling so fast that when it was KO'd by the BA10 it's momentum carried it for quite a distance safely into cover for the pzgrens to clamber out. it was hit just a second or two from the moment it appeared at full speed zipping out of cover. the BA10 then took out the following 2 251s - who weren't travelling as fast as the first - and even managed to disable the gun on the PzIII in front of it before it was eventually KOd.

i was so sure that this was a good tactic. it had caused such destruction in my ranks - this single armoured car - that i figured , i'm not gonna lose a tank to it, and tried to draw its fire so my Pzs could destroy it. but instead, it KOd the distraction AND damaged one of my precious Pzs!

that russki gunner should have got the order of lenin for that day's work! the bugger!

ever since that game i've always been very wary of russian arm'd cars...

thanks

das