Custom QB Maps - Tips For The Purist

QB maps have several consistent characteristics for a given battle type regardless of the size of the battle, or even the size of the map chosen. These characteristics were surely intentional. I think they should be duplicated in custom maps intended for QBs. To help make this happen I set about analyzing computer generated QB maps today. Here is what I learned.

Assault Battles

1) Flag points on the map range from 100% to 120% of the defender's purchase points. The flag points you put on your map dictate the appropriate size (defender points) for battles fought on your map!!

2) Average flag placement is always very near the defender's map edge.

3) The defender's setup zone is always 40% of the total E/W dimension of the map.

4) The attacker's zone is always 20% of the total E/W dimension.

NOTE: The E/W size of a map does not change much from small to huge maps. The map size option mainly affects the N/S frontage of a map. Battle type does not affect map size.

Attack Battles

1) Flag points range from 70% to 90% of defender's points.

2) Flags are fairly centralized in defender's zone.

3) Like assaults, the defender's setup zone is 40% of the E/W dimension. The attacker gets 20% of the total.

Probe Battles

1) Flag points range from 50% to 70% of defender's points.

2) Flags are placed in the forward portion of the defender's zone.

3) The defender's setup zone is 35% of the E/W dimension. The attacker gets 25%.

Meeting Engagements are obvious.

You should determine the dimensions you will use for your map by firing up a QB. Select the battle size (defender points) you wish to design your map for. Check out the different map sizes generated for the point level chosen. As mentioned earlier, the E/W dimension will not change much, but N/S frontage varies greatly with the map size chosen.

To summarize:

1) The number of flag points is important. In QBs, flag points are determined by defender points and battle type.

2) Setup zone depths need to be correct for the battle type, and is a percentage of total E/W dimension.

3) Flag placement within the defender's zone needs to be correct for the battle type.

I have made template maps for 1,000 pt. probes, attacks, and assaults for both sides. These are blank maps with setup zones established and flags placed. To make a map I need only load up the proper template and do the terrain and elevation work.

I can make time consuming beautiful maps or quickies. In either case, they will have the proper setup zone depths, flag points, and flag placement for a 1,000 pt QB of the battle type I choose.

If you would like these templates for your own custom QB maps just email me (profile). They won't save you a LOT of time; but they will save you from having to mess with setup zones, map dimensions and flags. Also, they will guarantee your map meets the official BFC standard for QB maps. :D

I did take one liberty with the setup zones. My maps have a large frontage (N/S) with the setup zones centralized at 50% of total N/S dimension. This makes the zones slightly larger than a small map would make them. I think this discourages edge-hugging a bit, and also leaves room to maneuver on the flanks. The important thing is the E/W relationship of setup zones and flags.

Sounds you spend a lot of time to investigate this topic, cheers !

I myself dont like flags,especially the large ones.

I prefer 2 or 3 small flags for a map,in that case the attacker has a better chance ( with too much flags its almost impossible )

Also, with less flags, the defender can choose to defend only a part of the map or even do a counter-attack.

Battles are much more interesting this way imho.

I prefer ME battles with NO flags at all, on a large map you can maneuver at will without need to catch a flag.

You need a human opponent when you play without flags offcourse.

Monty

Originally posted by Monty:

I prefer 2 or 3 small flags for a map,in that case the attacker has a better chance ( with too much flags its almost impossible )

This is interesting. I haven't played enough QBs to notice this. I do PBEM only, and few QBs so far because I dislike the maps. I suspect too few turns is more likely the cause for the attacker's difficulties.

Also, with less flags, the defender can choose to defend only a part of the map or even do a counter-attack.

These options are always available. It's not wise to try to hold every flag on the map IMO. This seems to contradict what you said before, to a certain degree. How can less flags help the defender AND help the attacker?

I prefer ME battles with NO flags at all, on a large map you can maneuver at will without need to catch a flag.

You need a human opponent when you play without flags offcourse.

Monty

Playing without flags can lead to situations where one player chooses to take up a defensive stance and wait for his opponent. This effectively turns the battle into a 1:1 attack with no captured flags to make up for the attacker's losses.

Note on the side:

I like flags. If enough turns are used there will be no endgame flag rushes (the attacker won't wait it out). Attackers should be beaten back or crushed, not disqualified by a stopwatch. :D

With less flags, the attacker has a better chance because he can concentrate more on 1 part of the map.

The defending side likes BIG flags (300 point)

When the attacker spends 400 points to capture 1 big flag, its not a good deal offcourse, but when he spend those points for a small flag (100 points), its a good deal.

But...if there are many flags on a wide map, you cant defend it properly and the attacker will grab a few flags always quickly.

So, it can happen you beat the enemy ( you have far more casualtie points) but you LOOSE the battle because he has 1 or 2 more flags.....hmmmm

To play without flags:

Create a Random map with the Map Editor or use a custom map.

Remove the flags in the editor and save the map.

Use the saved map with a QB.

Monty

Originally posted by Monty:

To play without flags:

Monty

I did that just now, loading a flagless map as the map for a QB. Two flags were created and randomly placed at the beginning of the game.

Dr. Rosenrosen

Flag placement is very important to balance I think. The more spread out they are, the easier it is for the attacker to get flags. QBs tend to spread flags all over the defenders zone, especially in bigger battles with lots of flags.

I like to keep the flags a little closer together.

It's tougher on the attacker that way; but that can be made up for by giving the attacker plenty of turns.

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Monty:

To play without flags:

Monty

I did that just now, loading a flagless map as the map for a QB. Two flags were created and randomly placed at the beginning of the game.

Dr. Rosenrosen </font>

• 2 weeks later...