The Newbie Checklist

Hhmm, being quite a new player myself, I thought it could be helpfull to make a short, precise list of the do's and dont's in CMBB. The more battles I play, the more I stumble about mistakes I could have avoided, or success where I didn't plan any. But without remembering those, you are bound to repeat the same mistake.

If possiple, let this thread become a collection of "rule's of thumb" for the new guys here. Feel free to add your own ideas.

Do's:

Keep your armour back until you have identified the enemy and it's Anti Armor Assets.

Make sure your FO has either a place with good LOS everywhere, or give him a Vehicle and a Radio to come around.

Try to archive local fire superiority.

Use your LOS Tool to check good firing positions and usage of cover.

Use Heavy MG's in every infantry attack.

Dont's:

Dont use your Tanks as "Taxi" for slow troops to move them in position, because that might mean giving up their cover to early.

Dont try indirect fire without LOS using offboard arty. It really isn't worth it. If you can't get LOS, use the first turn barrage or TRPs.

Dont spread out your troops equal to all objectives, because chances are you will in the end take none for lack of firepower.

Dont rely on your eye and the visible 3d world to predict if a unit is hidden or visible. What looks hidden to you in the game often shows LOS to the enemy with the Tool.

Dont ignore the danger of enemy heavy MG's and misscalculate the role of them in CMBB - they are the single biggest problem when advancing.

That's it for now. Almost every "Dont" in the list cost me heavy casualitys in my recent PBEMs. I for one will make sure to remember them well and never again fall into the trap. Maybe others will find them helpfull too.

I would have to disagree with some of your points.

Keep in mind i am speaking with an ME QB in mind.

-For MGs, i usually set them up on the approaches to the terrain or objective being fought over. If i get them in position fast enough they can stop the enemy from taking hold of the terrain and allow me to advance there first. If the enemy has already taken the position the MGs will deny reinforcements while i first supress the enemy with HE and MG fire (usually from my supporting armour) and assault, mopping up the objective.

-For armour i would replace "keep back" with "keep out of LOS". This allows for quick response to any situation needing support immediatly but the tank can maintain safety behind say a patch of pines, etc.

-On the taxi point, i agree, and i don't. It all depends on the terrain. If you have a map with dense cover you can really shuffle troops (eg MGs) to forward positions to deny ground to the enemy, and still keep out of LOS. Still though as germans i would rather have an SPW251/1 for the job. (I think one advantage the germans have is the ability to mount their MGs on most tanks, whereas the russians cannot mount a maxim on a t34).

Another point i would like to add is: Buy on board mortars. The 81mm and the 82mm are DEADLY against enemy guns and machine guns.

RSColonel:

interesting points all.

but i have to respectfully comment that some of the points above are specific to situations, ie. depending to the terrain, force composition, experience etc.

my additional DOs and Don't to add to this thread:

On Game Play

------------

- Do Not Turn Fog of War to NONE. You can see the enemy, but so can they. At the least, use "Partial Fog of War".

- Do Set "Show all Paths/Arcs" ON. SHIFT-P (methinks)