sharing my 2 cents on small map defense against AI

Hi, just spent the whole sunday playing around 10 games as Axis against the AI, everything is random except allied probe and 300 points (i like small games as you doan get uber-weapons, and the focus is largely on tactics).

A couple of things i observed:

- Always work out the path the AI will take and build the defense accordingly. Sounds obvious but very critical. ie. The AI will always choose the path of trees in approaching the victory flag. Wooded over scattered trees. Placement of anti-personnel mines and ambush points should follow the logical path of the AI troops.

- Respect the terrain. Another obvious point. Never place your troops in the open. Even craters provide cover.

- Covering Arcs are ideal. Left flank to arc over to the right, and vice-versa. If you have a platoon and a HMG, it is quite logical to place HMG + 1 Squad on one flank, and 2 Squads + HQ to the flank where the AI will send its troops towards.

- Always let the enemy come to you. For small maps, and limited force and Ammo, it may not make sense for long range attrition. It would be better to hide your troops and wait. Perhaps unhide when the enemy is half-way through the open field or when the enemy is at your doorsteps. The effect is devastating like an ambush, it is likely that the enemy squad will be "shocked" and eliminated within the turn, especially if your troops are carring PPsh or MP40s. In blizzards, a green or conscript russian troops will exhaust itself when trying to reach the victory location.

- If you have green or conscript forces, infantry or afvs. Group them together, they are less likely to panic. Especially true of afvs like tanks or armored cars. Let them work in pairs. If you have crack forces, they can operate independently.

- For stationary or slow moving guns, hmgs, , position them with at least one flank well covered by building/trees/edge of map, this keyhole-approach will ensure better survivability.

- Becareful how you position troops in buildings, if your troops is placed in the south of the room, they are unlikely to provide adequate fire-power if the enemy if coming from the north.

- In village, town fighting, if type and quantity of ammo permits, you should destroy buildings where the enemy is hiding in. They are more suspectible to be captured. Place HMGs with HQ units on the second floor of taller buildings.

- Some russian afvs have only 2 crews, driver and gunner. Killing the Tank Commander thru sharpshooters will disable the tank completely.If you have a choice of selecting either Sharpshooters or Anti-tank rifles, choose sharpshooters, they are costlier but more effective.

[ January 26, 2003, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: laxx ]

There's just a simple point I dont agree with, and that is using the terrain to predict the path of the AI.

Of course it works in the game, but once you play against a human it will come around and bite you in the bum.

In my humble opinion, the game teaches you more about real WW2 tactics if you try to ignore the limits of the AI.

On Point I'd like to add is that I think "Schwerpunkt" (Strongpoint) Defense should work well. On some maps it might be impossiple to defend ALL victory locations, just like in real life it was sometimes impossiple to defend every meter of the front line. I try to accept local enemy breaktroughs if that means I can hold the majority of my objectives.

Did they change the accuracy of the sniper's? Or the way button works? Doesn't the tank button up when fired upon with small arms fire? So unless you hit the commander with the first shot, you have no hope of doing anything more?

Also, crack/elite sniper's/sharpshooters are pretty good at nailing the commander, but anything less then that is pure luck. Again this is from a CMBO perspective. So I am not disagreeing with you, I would like to know if things have changed.