TRP and AT Guns....?

A question from a relative newbie .....

I have read, practiced and understood TRP's and how they work for artillery. I also understand there's an additional value in a TRP, in that if you don't move an AT gun from its original set-up position and you aim at something in the vicinity of a TRP, the accuracy improves because of previous registration of range and azimuth. I know that's true in real life as well, because when we used our Shermans (M4A2E8), we used to use Range Cards to pre-zero in on various landmarks etc.

What I'm trying to understand is within what radius range of the TRP's centre does this added accuracy work? I can't find anything in the manual that gives me a radius distance from the TRP, nor do I observe any changes in the LOS "hit %" or Targeting line colors for the AT guns, whether they're near the TRP or not?

Finally, does this enhanced accuracy also apply to Tank fire?

Regards,

Badger

[ January 22, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: BadgerDog ]

BadgerDog -

I've never seen an offical hard number from BTS on exactly how big the 'boresighted' area around a TRP is, but my personal experience suggests it's an approx. 20m radius circle around the centerpoint of the TRP.

As Moon mentioned, you will see a "boresighted" text indicator under the target in CMBB, but there is no similar indicator in CMBO - you just have to look at the hit% in CMBO. If it looks higher than usual, you're probably getting a boresight bonus.

And yes, in CMBB "boresighting" bonus does apply to tanks as well as ATGs. Try the "Iron Roadblock" scenario as Russians for a great demonstration of just how useful this Boresighting bonus can be in the right situation. Again, though, the tank has to remain in its initial setup position in order to benefit from accuracy bonus.

I'm getting a bit rusty on my CMBO, but IIRC "boresighting" bonus does not apply for tanks in CMBO.

From one dog to another,

YD

Hello jtcm ... :D

I taught at the Royal Canadian Armored Corps gunnery school (Camp Borden) from 1963-65. That combined with an additional 2 years of in-field "grunt" experience as a Troop Sergeant, gives me some real world knowledge of at least the late 1940's and 1950's vintage M4A2E8 76mm Sherman tanks, which the Canadian Army was still using then. I also trained on the "then new" Centurion with the British 105 smooth bore gun that was just appearing for us canucks and had some brief introduction to the standard Panzer Leopard as the Canadian Army bought 50 of them from Germany. I served with veterans of both Korea and WWII, most notably two close friends who fought with the 1st Hussars (6th Cdn Armored Regt) and served from 1941-68. They both fought on the afternoon of June 11th of 1944, where the 8th Company of the 12th SS Panzer Regiment (12th SS Panzer Division "Hitlerjugend") counterattacked the attempt by Canadian 6th Armored Regiment (along with support units) to capture the area of Le Mesnil-Patry. The 12th SS Panzer Regiment commanded by SS-Obersturmfuehrer Hans Siegel destroyed some 37 Shermans, while losing 2 Panzer IVs and forcing Canadians to retreat. I listened and learned from their experiences of that day. Both are no longer with us, but they are not forgotten.

Regards,

Badger

Qualifed on Sherman (M4A2E8) & Centurion

Group 3 Gunner (RCAC)

Group 2 Driver Mechanic Tracked (RCAC)

Group 2 Signaler (RCAC)

CC and Trooper Leader Instructor

Originally posted by BadgerDog:

Badger

Qualifed on Sherman (M4A2E8) & Centurion

Group 3 Gunner (RCAC)

Group 2 Driver Mechanic Tracked (RCAC)

Group 2 Signaler (RCAC)

CC and Trooper Leader Instructor

Badger,

What were the feelings of you and your fellow tankers about the Sherman M4A2E8? A lot of folks claim that the Sherman was already obsolete in 1944 or '45, yet it fought on through Korea and as you suggest, was still in service in the early 1960s. How does one account for this longevity? Were there useful improvements on the WWII vintage version? Did you feel confidence in it? Were there serious plans to use it in combat or was it more of a training vehicle? How did it stack up against the Centurion (or Leopard) in your mind?

Thanks!