Hi i started making a mission set during the last days of the Reich and was wondering wot german forces fought in the battle of berlin agaisnt the russians.

Now i know the Hitler youth did but what part of the german army woulf they be under? eg, SS, motersied...etc

Originally posted by Jack Ryan:

Hi i started making a mission set during the last days of the Reich and was wondering wot german forces fought in the battle of berlin agaisnt the russians.

Now i know the Hitler youth did but what part of the german army woulf they be under? eg, SS, motersied...etc

Ironically, two of the main forces which fought in the Battle for Berlin were the 11th SS Nordland Division (consisting mainly of Norwegians and Swedes) and remnants of the 33rd SS Charlemagne Division (which consisted of French soldiers!) ...

A few King Tigers of the 503rd SS Heavy Panzer Battalion were also there.

Most of them didnt fight at Berlin at the forces at Berlin were mostly what was in the actual area at the time. Plus a good amount of the better troops got killed on the Seelow Heights. Hitler Youth would be classified as Volksturm I guess, if you can even call them that. conscript Volksturms.

Originally posted by Jack Ryan:

On a site i checked out before posting this,

it was the SS OOB, most of the SS divisions did not fight in berlin not even the LAH.

I would have thought that the best of the best would have been brought back for defence of the capital

The most notable SS Divisions -- LAH, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Hohenstaufen, Wiking, and Hitler Jugend -- were sent to spearhead the offensive in Hungary in the first part of 1945. At the end of the war, most of them were in Austria.

CBB

"Hitler Youth would be classified as Volksturm I guess, if you can even call them that. conscript Volksturms."

With the "fanatic" setting to high. Under veteran leaders these kids caused the Soviets more problems than most any Volkssturm unit. The defense of the Havel Bridges were particularly fierce-defended by HJ.

The regular German Army officers refered to mixed units of Vssturm and HJ as "casserole"-a mix of "old meat and green vegetables".

Of course, in many other cases where the leaders of the groups of old men and boys had sense to save themselves-these units would evaporate back into the populace from where they came a few days before.

It would be interesting to see more Berlin scenarios/ops. I think, particularly given current events, this type of city fighting to be interesting. There are many different locales within the city to portray actions as well, though our natural inclination is to focus on the city's center.

Well my berlin is a small map a load of rumble burning building and building strung to gather in some sort of blocks with spaces with a few trees buring.

I could have got pics of berlin and made the map more realsitic but that would have taken time and would have been boring.

Erm say this was in part of the city, not the suburbs or CC, would troops have been surrounded?

Coz i though about this and i think yes but would like other ppl opions

another question on this matter, the german surredner was on may 7th in the early hours, and the capture of the berlin was 5 days before that. Now would have the Hitler youth and other troops in berlin contuined to fight pass the capture of most berlin and pass the final surrender?

[ April 07, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Jack Ryan ]