Armor AI Rules of Thumb

Argh! I just lost a Pzkw IIIJ in a firefight with 3 T-34s! I was trying to use a hill as cover (to avoid the tanks) but slightly overshot the ridge. My tank had smoke cannisters, or it could have backed up 2 meters, but instead it engaged 3 superior tanks at a range of about 1000 meters.

I assumed my tank would assess the odds and back out of danger, but no.

So my question is, are there some rules of thumb out there to gauge how a tank will respond? What constitutes "bad odds?" Infantry seems to act much more predictably. But armor keeps finding ways to surprise me...unpleasantly.

Lurk

It only backs up when it doesn't make sense, e.g. when an ISU-122 has a shot ready on a Panzer IV facing elsewhere. Or when a bunch of fast tanks would have to face a field fast to survive and decide to stop and retreat instead.

The AI is much too simple to do anything decent. Before SOPs are introduced you should expect the unexpected.