Victory flag occupation??

I just finished a PBEM scenario and my opponent and I reported different things in reference to the victory flags. I saw that I held one of the flags from turn 5 or 6 all the way to the end while he said that it went from my possession to neutral and back to my possession. And similar differences with the other victory flag.

Has anyone else experienced this?

What you see in terms of the victory flag is based on what your side can see in terms of units around the flag. So you had troops staioned around the flag and from your perspective the flag was yours. Your opponent saw troops initially and then for a time lost track of them around the flag so it went "neutral" from his perspective. Part of the fog of war.

Pretty much so. What you see in terms of who has control of flags (on screen) and all the victory point breakdowns (lower left corner of screen display) are all best guesses thoughout the battle. Onlt the end-game screen will show it like it is and that can be radically different from what you may have been "told" throughout the battle.

It's actually deceiving. In this last battle, it showed that I held both flags for practically the whole battle so towards the end I was very relaxed. I came to find out in the end that I didn't 'capture' the flags at the end of the battle. Had I known that, I would have pressed on and really attempted to 'clear' the area of enemies.

That's changing my whole strategy from now on!

I don't think BFC has ever described the formula on which possession of a flag is based. It seems that whoever has functioning (non-broken and with ammo) units within 50-75 meters of a flag can contest possession, with it going to whomever has the most force the closest. What I usually do is to leave an entire platoon at the location until I can verify that the enemy has no units within that 75 meter radius, then I may leave only a single squad to guard it. I usually try to pick the platoon that has the least ammo left to do the guarding. I might reinforce them with an MG or an armed vehicle that has also shot off most of its ammo.

Michael