How does a shaped charge function exactly?

Some time ago, I remember reading a post on these forums where the writer claimed that the penetrating qualities of a HEAT charge are only achieved, if some sort of metal projectile is driven into the armor with the power of the explosion's jet stream. On the other hand, Wikipedia's take on the Munroe effect seems to suggest that the heat and intensity of the plasma jet alone is enough to penetrate the armor.

So, must a HEAT charge be coupled with a "metal head" of some sort to achieve its penetrative qualities, or not?

Huh! The text in those links placed more emphasis on the round's copper liner than I would've guessed. On reflection, I suppose a hollow charge that relies only on focused overpressure would only go so far pushing the armor material out of the way, and would work better on some materials than on others. Collapsing a metal liner into a high pressure drill does sound more efficient.

Moon keeps saying that sandbagged Shermans did more harm than good against Panzerfausts. I guess if they were defending against a shaped charge without a liner the sandbags would work. Otherwise the sandbags just increase the HEAT warhead's standoff distance, better focusing its plasma jet.