Problem starting SC2

Ok, this is a really strange problem that only occurs on my work laptop.

I cannot start SC2 or the new CM strike force when using the shortcut to the exe. The only way I can get these to run is by:

Installing the latest patch (again), and then selecting "launch the game" at the end of the install. Then either will work fine. However, it still crashes immediately if I try to run from the shortcut (does not even make it to the intro).

The older CMBO works fine, just not SC2 or CMSF. So what is different between launching from the patch install and the shortcut?

FYI, elicense works with no problem.

Please help :confused:

There is no difference between those shortcuts but try this, go into the game folders, right click on the game exe's and select "Send To", then "Desktop (create shortcut)" and see if those newly created shortcuts work.

Madmatt

[ October 15, 2007, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

The new shortcut still results in a crash.

As for running as an administrator, my normal login is setup as a member of the administrator group. It says I have unrestricted access to everything. Are you asking for something different? (Windows XP SP2)

There must be some difference between just running the exe and launching from the install utility. The first doesn't work and the later does.

Coda, it is an odd error and the first I've heard reported. It is unlikely to be related to SC2 specifically as you mention the same issue with CMSF so the only thing I could think of was a permission error as a possible reason, i.e. therefore my query related Administrator rights.

Like I said very odd and probably something specific on your system causing it to run abnormally. If you try and run the game from the installation directory, i.e. double click the actual SC2.exe icon does it work?

Nope, the only way it will run that I've discovered is through the patch install launch.

The PC is a Intel duo processor

Intel Core 2 CPU

T7200 @ 2 Ghz

1 GB RAM

Physical address extension

I realize this is a really strange problem. The only programs that do this are SC2 and CMSF. CMBO and all my other stuff has no issue. That was why I thought maybe something to do with the elicense, since those are the only two that use elicence. However, I didn't have a problem with the elicense installation and the games run fine when launched from the patch installer. Is there something different with the way the elicense validation works from the patch installer verses the exe?

Nope, the patch installer is just a simple link to the games executable. Its EXACTLY like a normal shortcut.

Have you tried right clicking on the exe (not the shortcut) and selected "Run as" and then selected your Administrator account?

By the way, what does the crash actually say?

Matt

When I try the Run as...

It gives me the option to run as only 2 users

ENT\a0210000 (my login)

LTAa210000\LocalControl

When I use the LocalControl login, now it works fine. Hey, it's a miracle! Thanks guys!

Now, any idea why this happens?

Here was the error message:

SC2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

When I click the "more details" link I get:

AppName: sc2.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: sc2.exe

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00012860

When I click the tech information link I get:

Exception Information:

Then a long list of system info

finally the file

C:\DOCUME~1\a021000\LOCALS~\Temp\fd36_appcompat.txt