Game crashes during PBEM playback

This happened once with 1.03 and has just occurred with 1.04. The error message is only on screen for about one second. However, it states SC execution failed and, I think, segmentation violation. these have occurred during one PBEM game. Has anyone experienced this. Both instance occurred during the playback phase.

Any ideas/suggestions welcomed.

There is a temporary fix for this available for download at:

http://www.furysoftware.com/download/sc.zip

Just extract it into your installation folder if you or anyone else has experienced this problem. It may replay the turn a bit funny, but unit positions will appear properly when you start your turn. This fix will be included with the next patch.

Hubert

• 2 weeks later...

Have experienced the pbem crash. I'm at work, so can't refer to the game files:

"Just extract it into your installation folder"

Excuse my ignonrance, but I just want to be able to slap this into the right place when I get it home (downloaded and put on a disk here at work...shhhh, again ;) ) Is there a sub folder called "installation" under the SC folder or by "installation folder" do you just mean the SC folder (and not any sub folders).

Salute and thanks!

Er, Hubert (if you're out there),

I downloaded and installed the temporary fix from the link in this thread (so far, so good).

I'm in the midst of a PBEM game in which both players were using v1.02 (so far, so good). We both got the patch above, but I installed it first. When I got his turn, there was a popup that told me that his turn was created using a different version, v1.02, and that I was using v1.04. The popup suggested that there could be some problem given the two different versions. The turn loaded fine, and he received my turn without trouble.

My friend has held off loading the patch because he isn't sure that he wants to upgrade to v1.04 (and I had no intention of doing so, either--we were both happy with v1.02, except for the pbem crash problem).

We''ve exchanged a few more turns without incident (except for the popup that I see each time I get one of his turns).

I'm a bit confused. The download here is smaller than the v1.04 download and has a different name. Is this error message some kind of anomaly (based on some association with later versions) or has the "temporary fix" listed in this message actually changed my version to v1.04?

Bit confused (scratches head).

Actually the patch listed here was just a temporary fix for PBEM replay for the full v1.04 patch that's available on the current Battlefront download page. I would not recommend applying it unless you have already applied the full v1.04 patch as there were other fixes included in the full v1.04 patch. I assumed you had already done that.

The message you receive is just a warning that the PBEM turns were created with two different versions and to reflect the possiblity of some inconsistencies when playing with two different versions. Whether you choose to upgrade to the latest patch is entirely up to you, but it does fix a lot of small problems and should improve gameplay in many areas.

If you wish to do this, simply apply the latest v1.04 full patch from the download page and then reapply this temporary fix for v1.04 as listed above.

Hubert