Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

tech observations and questions ...

Hi,

First off; what a great game! Brings me back to the

clash of steel days smile.gif (which I still have on my hd-

and no my computer isnt 8 years old <g>)

anyways ...

I thought I would mention a few things for future patches etc ...

1. Just now when I tried to load a saved game it would crash to desktop everytime

I clicked load saved game. ie it would crash when I clicked that button on the main

menu. I thought perhaps it was my computer so I rebooted; made sure I had no progs

running and tried 2 more times (ie tried a few more times - rebooted - tried again).

Then I even started a game and saved it and tried again. Same thing.

So I went in my windows explorer and deleated the saved games and tried again - presto'

it worked. So not sure what the deal was but I'm just letting you know. I was wondering

if it had something to do with the # of saved games I had (11 I think).

2. Honestly I havnt read though the instruction manual fully yet; game is just to fun to

play to read the rules smile.gif

but one thing I noticed - something with supply lines ie city and HQ's:

Units can get trapped if they lack supply.

example:

one time I decided as the germans to sweep though turkey and attack russian from the bottom

up from turkey. I had a unit in iraq (I think it was that) and wanted him to catch up to my

troops now working their way in russia. He was able to get 2 hexes into the mountains and then

he was basically stuck; he couldnt (operate ie train it to anywhere) he didnt have

enough action points to move anywhere either; he was stuck for the remainder of the game.

So again basically he moved from clear to mnt. to mnt. so he was surrounded by mnt. hexas.

I can understand how supply should hinder units but I think its a bug if a unit gets stuck for

years in the same hex because they cant move. I'm pretty sure if I moved a HQ unit

close by that he could move but still do I really need to move one close by for him to move at

all?

2. Another technical question - actually happened during that same game. Basically the game was

nearing an end and I had conquered most of eourpe and now russia. And my only 2 opponents left

were the UK and the US. I easily kicked them out of france once I had destroyed the russians

(they were playing d-day on me while

I was working on the soviets.)

Anyways ... what I am getting at here is that basically I was earning about 3x as much as the US

and UK combined but they had this air fleet army that would just decimate me; literally.

I took my whole russian attack army from russia over to france and was going to try a land

invasion but they just destroyed me. And even when I sat back and tried to 'research' up my

planes to max I couldnt get anywhere in time because their planes would just kill anything I would

make. I had like 6 decent strength planes and basically every turn I would have to spend

all my resources on repairing my planes and the UK and USA would still wipe them.

My question is? are the air crafts in this game too strong?

3. oh and I play all my games with fog of war on; just curious does the computer cheat?lol

meaning do they get free repairs or know where your guys are?

again referring to that game where I was earning 3x the money of the combined allie total; they

were still whiping my butt bad. My level 5 tanks and level 5 rockets and level 4 infantry stood 0

chance against the computers air army. And heaven forbid I bring a HQ in range of their rockets.

ok those are my questions - hope they made sense. Hard to type up a good layout for my questions with

this scrolling message.

again I am a long time fan of WWII board games and especially computer games (board games was when there

were no computer war games.)

Dulak

Originally posted by Dulak:

I can understand how supply should hinder units but I think its a bug if a unit gets stuck for

years in the same hex because they cant move. I'm pretty sure if I moved a HQ unit

close by that he could move but still do I really need to move one close by for him to move at

all?

I guess you will just have to remember to

bring along an HQ-actually the HQ itself will get

stuck eventually! Does seem like something which

should be changed (minimum movement allowance

should be one no matter what)...

3. oh and I play all my games with fog of war on; just curious does the computer cheat?lol

again referring to that game where I was earning 3x the money of the combined allie total; they

were still whiping my butt bad. My level 5 tanks and level 5 rockets and level 4 infantry stood 0

chance against the computers air army. And heaven forbid I bring a HQ in range of their rockets.

Dulak

It definitely seems like the computer can 'tell'

where your coastal garrisons are: if I need to

transport my Oslo corps down to the mainland in

a pinch, sure enough 2 turns later I have several

allied transports attempting to invade there, even

though (?) with a Long-Range Aircraft rating of

2 that they shouldn't be able to see that far...

John DiFool

First off; what a great game! Brings me back to the

clash of steel days smile.gif (which I still have on my hd-

and no my computer isnt 8 years old <g>)

Thanks!

1. Just now when I tried to load a saved game it would crash to desktop everytime

I clicked load saved game. ie it would crash when I clicked that button on the main

menu.

Yeah this is a problem after you apply the latest patch, older saved games from v1.0 are not compatible and causes the game to crash. I've addressed this and it will no longer happen with the next patch.

2. Honestly I havnt read though the instruction manual fully yet; game is just to fun to

play to read the rules smile.gif

but one thing I noticed - something with supply lines ie city and HQ's:

Units can get trapped if they lack supply.

Yup units need supply, it's all a part of the design and HQ's help. There still was a small problem where HQ's could not be linked together to create a supply line, this has also been addressed and will be part of the next patch.

2. Another technical question - actually happened during that same game. Basically the game was

nearing an end and I had conquered most of eourpe and now russia. And my only 2 opponents left

were the UK and the US. I easily kicked them out of france once I had destroyed the russians

(they were playing d-day on me while

I was working on the soviets.)

Anyways ... what I am getting at here is that basically I was earning about 3x as much as the US

and UK combined but they had this air fleet army that would just decimate me; literally. <snip>

My question is? are the air crafts in this game too strong?

This probably has most to do with supply, HQ's and experience. If your enemy the Allies have been bombarding unhindered for a long time with their air fleets then they will have a higher experience and can wreak havoc on your units. Research can also play a factor, but one way to avoid this is to keep your own air units in range to defend against allied attacks and keep HQ's close by as well.

No cheating at all with stuff like that actually, although John did bring up the point that the AI did seem to know where his coastal garrisons were, and I just checked and sure enough this one did slip through the cracks. I'll have to address this in a future patch.

Hubert