Soviet science

rant

I have a theory that soviet scientists in SC like chess. And vodka.

they do not like working.

just my pet theory, it may be different in your universe...

(one, just one example, 1944, 8 research points, one stinky tech advance)

okay another example

1943, 7 research points, no $#@$% tech advances

/rant

However, the Italians are naturals. Somehow, it seems that the Italians get advances faster than anyone else. I know, that its chance. But they sure are lucky. Maybe its because Rome is in Italy.

Oh yes, in a recent game the Soviets reached Anti-Tank Tech 1 on the first turn, after that its been nothing for about 20 turns with 2 chits in Anti-Tank

The Italians do seem gifted, but a lot of that is because they're playing catch-up and the system favors results from the underdog.

The Soviets sometimes surprise me both with advances and a lack of them. Quirky results like two in a quick succession in heavy tanks, where they start out with L-1.

Normally, regardless of which side I'm playing, I put a lot in research and never seem to get results from them, so it may be more an illusion than reality that the other side is always getting them with much more frequency.

Damn right with italian sci ,more than one time they beat the german tech in AT and JT with only one chit in each one.

I got no problem with soviet research ,but they do better the germans for sure.

I believe too much italian playtesters in the credits explain it :D

It's just a 100% Chance Random factor who gets tech and who doesn't, along with the system that's already there.

If anything in future editions Italians and Russians should get a vast reduction in the ability to tech up. Accept maybe in a few areas...

Russians were naturally behind in most areas. There philosphy was numerical from the beginning

Of course it is all random. I realize I am just seeing a few fluky games. You want to make it HARDER for Soviets to get tech? I don't get this at all.

In the world of SC, you have the ability to dictate grand strategy. If you want to try and compete with tech instead of numerical superiority as Russians, why not? Why do you want to take this away?

On another point, I'm sure this has been discussed before, but wouldn't it be nice (reasonable historically) if the UK and USA had some ability to share tech? I bet that would drive down those bids!

With the Italians the trick is to invest whatever you do into a category where they get the benefit of either enemy or friendly tech that is already achieved. For instance if you put a chit into subs or ships I believe they get the bonus of the Germans already having acheived that tech. I think I am correct on this.

Friendly Fire:

yeah, well, it's historical. Soviets were slow. There nation was behind technologically. In this game Soviets are competeing for jets early! Perhaps 1942... Was that possible? Doubtful

Curry:

I have had Chits on GunLaying Radar with Italy before and gotten nothing. After a year or two the bonus never kicked in. :(

Liam:

yeah, well, it's historical. Soviets were slow. There nation was behind technologically. In this game Soviets are competeing for jets early! Perhaps 1942... Was that possible? Doubtful

Well if you waste your resources in I+D ,you get I+D ,Stalin didn´t do it he prefer to use his resources in getting tanks OK for him ,but I think that is some that can be left in player hands.

BTW thouse slow soviets were faster than others sometimes ,do you know Yuri Gagarin?