Elimate luck (tech) and rely on battle plans - HR?

Iron Ranger

In two game (once each side) I convinced the other side to play with a house rule of no inverting in tech, the starting 'advanced' level of equipment was all your going to get. Each game developed diffently but a few sid moves changed considerable:

1) USA - with its better air force (L1 jets, L1 LR) you really need to think about attack minors that would normally be pro-german. Attacking these countrys incresses the USA readness significally and the longer you can hold back that air force the better. Political fall out from axis aggresstion is important.

2) HQs have a higher chance of surviving. You can still kill HQs with good planing, use a bomber to spot out to 6 hexs and consintrate you air fleets, but the easy kill they present in Russia is no longer true.

3) NA

4) More action/aggressive UK. Since UK no longer has the 'dead zone' from the fall of France to the opening attack in Russia where she just dumps all her cash into Tech. Now she needs to buy units or repair damaged ones and think of where she want to slow down the German machine (Egypt?). Combined with an equal level of air and LR, UK has a chance (small) of holding Egypt or if its lost at least causeing problems for the Axis.

Such a house rule might be a garintied win for the allies with the advanced level of air in the west and armor in the east, I don't know. I think it will lead to more combat and excitement but you will lose the satifaction of a tech level go up or surprising the other side with a well layed trap.

Side note: Most of the advances in tech/combat power didn't hit the field till 1943 (advaced air planes, consintrated AT gun, personal AT guns, LR fighers ect...). You could agree not to invest in any tech untill 1943, this would be hard to control and might lead to some interesting 'banking' of MPPs. But it would be more historical and still give everyone the excitement of seeing USA get P-51 mustanges or Germany with Tigers.

[ August 01, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

It's true that the tech advantages and disadvantages aren't historic<they're just too ez to get> If you put 5 chits in anything you'll eventually get something in it or lose. Most people cash out in Jet and LR Fighter.<the King Cobra of Techs>

Sad thing is we miss beautiful sights often like Panthers/King Tigers. P-51D long range top of the line in great numbers. People advance the UK<even USSR Airforce not the US. In the Air the USSR was crude, the USA was more advanced than any nation<in #s> and there are no use for bombers. None? Zilch? I would debate a house rule in where there is no more jet tech beyond Level3. A house rule where no chits can be spent on either side on Jet tech or longe range until the Fall of France. Naturally one side overmobilized and the other unready wouldn't be making great strides anywhere...

It's as realistic as you could make them game I think. The thing with jets is they're so affordable. So when someone thinks to buy heavy bombers or heavy tanks they think second and put it where you can definitely protect it and use it most... Perhaps a change of doctrine would be nice.

in particular for GERMANY this would make the game more interesting. Now it's all about UK Air and USSR ground forces. Germany is about domination in th Eastern Skies impossible on such a massive front.

Hmmmm.... interesting.

What are the tech levels that you gave each nation?

For balance we went with the std Tech levels in the Fall Weiss cpn.

If you want a something more historical, I would go with these changes (not perfect but thats life, bigest problem is with armor, pz III/pzIV vs T-34/KV-1 in early 1941).

Germay: L1 Jets

UK: L1 Jets

USSR: L2 HT, 0 chits (+750 MPPs)

USA: L2 HB, L2 Jets, L0 Soner, L3 IT, 0 chits

No inveting in an tech till 1943. Everyone is going to have problems with some aspect of this so I would go with the std techs in 1939 and allow tech investment in 1943 or on a year by year schedule.