Adding ULTRA for the Allies

Kurt Bullard

I did a search on "ultra". There were a couple of posts back in May on the importance of strategic intelligence, particularly as it related to Africa.

Any new ideas on how to simulate this Allied advantage in SC? A couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

- warn the Allies of major shifts in troops; for example, "Troop strength on the Western Front doubled in the last turn."

- occasional insight into Axis R&D spending.

- possible of notification of Axis naval movement.

- warning of ungarrisoned cities that might be ripe for an easy assault.

Kurt

It's a nice idea, and I know we all like to hear good constructive advice like this, but I suspect it just isn't possible. I mean, eventually somebody is going to sit down and code a WWII strategy game that has EVERYTHING. It would take twenty years, but it could happen. :D It's just that SC, in its current form, isn't that concerned with the nitty-gritty.

Which is both a good thing and a bad thing, depending on whether I wake up as a grognard or as a "wargamer lite" that day. smile.gif

I like the Idea probably good for SC2.

One solution is add intelgince technology to the thech research table.

You have to spend money to develop it and if one country's Spy tech is higher than the other he gets some info benefits such as

location of enemy HO's if they move

location of enemy ships when in port

location of ports when enemy transports troops

enemy Tech advances

and so on.

If enemy tech catches up benefit is elliminated.

Gen.Metaxas

[ October 18, 2002, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Gen.Metaxas ]

The game incorporates the Fog of War admittedly.

But the allies through Ultra and Magic were essentially "cheating" heheh.

Now it might be possible to scam a computer program, but how the heck does a person get to know what the other guy is planning?

I mean should one player write himself several notes of his up coming plans, and then make it possible for the allied player to somehow sneek peeks?

It boggles me how a person can essentially mimic this function in any game at any scale.

Originally posted by daystrom:

Thats all I need Kurt. ;)

We would cease using our enigma machines in favor of an elaborate system of smoke signals, secret handshakes, and winks. :D

cheers,

Ray

Actually the Italian Navy codes, which relied on paper ciphers (i.e. a paper code book that was regularly re-versioned), was never broken by Allied intelligence. Sometime in 1941/42, the Germans persuaded the Italians to use German electric cipher machines, whereupon the code was immediately broken and accessible to the British.

[ October 18, 2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: dgaad ]