For my polarizing scenario - where can I find 1939 army stats for each country?

japinard

In case you missed it we're talkin about countries and their tendancies of Axis vs. Allies. Very good discussion. http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=003340&p=2#000044

However I'd like some infomration that states something like this (hisorically of course)

Germany had thia many army units, air wings unit, Battlships, U-Boats etc.

Netherlands had an Army Group I consisting of 2,000 troops.

The USA had blah blah blah then ramping up production.

I can use a database or refernece to really make this scenario come alive. Can somone point me in the right direction and give me some links?

LIke army totals for all countries in 1939?

Yes, I can tell you how to gather that information.

My DSL at home isn't working, so I can't give you the info right away, since I can only send stuff thru the work computer.

I assume all you really want, are enough numbers so you can build '39 Order of Battles for the major nations? I can give you, in a day or so, the number of divisions that each nation had in 1939.

There are a couple of things you have to determine how to handle however...

difference in relative combat power between the various divisions of different nations.

neutral nations in SC, if you are gonna activate them or not.

how to mesh the different to&e's into the generic units that SC uses.

Those three should give you enough to start thinking about how to handle the problems.

Lastly, if you wanted to purchase one book that has this information, I'll give you the name later on, since I can't remember it exactly now.

(JerseyJohn or anyone else, you remember the name? Ellis something or other, Statistical survey something or other? The one that lists the economic numbers and military strengths of the majors pre and during WWII?)

Originally posted by Shaka of Carthage:

Lastly, if you wanted to purchase one book that has this information, I'll give you the name later on, since I can't remember it exactly now.

(JerseyJohn or anyone else, you remember the name? Ellis something or other, Statistical survey something or other? The one that lists the economic numbers and military strengths of the majors pre and during WWII?)

I think the one you are talking about here is "World War II: A Statistical Survey" or "World War II: Databook" by John Ellis (they appear to be the same reference with two different names for some reason). Great book and in fact a primary source of reference for SC1.

Hubert

Thank you Mr H, that would be the book.

There are some inaccuracies in the book, but "reading" it should give you an idea if you want to pursue this sort of thing. Most people don't want to bother with this level of detail.

Ok, now to the number of divisions I promised you:

NATION ...... 1939 ........ 1940 ...... 1941

Germany .......78............189.........235

(includes areas absorbed by Germany, but not nations allied to Germany)

Hungary.........6.............7..........10

Romania.........11............28.........33

Bulgaria........12............14.........14

Italy...........66............73.........64

Finland.........14............17.........19

Poland..........43.............2..........2

Netherlands.....12 (3 were in NetherEastIndies)

Belgium.........22

Yugo............34

France..........86............105

UK..............9..............34.........35

(remember, this is worldwide)

Australia.......0..............7..........10

India...........3..............5..........10

New Zealand.....0..............1...........1

South Africa....0..............0...........3

Canada..........0..............1...........3

Russia.........194............200.........220

US...............8.............24..........39

Since the above is global, might as well include the rest.

China......... estimate around 300 ..........

Japan...........36.............36..........39

The above do not include divisions that were never intended for frontline combat. So security, training, inactive, coastal, garrison, etc divisions are not above.

Without bothering you with the details of how I calculated it, here are the results I came up with...

Corp = four (4) divisions

Army = eight (8) divisions

Tank = four (4) divisions (should be mechanized or armor divisions)

US, because of the liberal amounts of artillery and non-divisional support units, become Corp of 3, Army of 6. Should not have Tank units.

Italians, because of lack of artillery and two regiment division, become Corp of 6, Army of 12, Tank of 6.

Russian "Army" (post Barborossa), is a SC Corp. I don't remember if I manipulated the number of divisions in that unit. Russian "Shock" or "Guard" Armies should be a SC Army or Tank unit.

Thank you guys! My posts on this thread were crunched when the server went down. But I had asked if the book has lots of maps? I LOVE maps smile.gif

And if it's interesting reading, or just dry numbers? That might be a book I'd like to buy, but I see at Amazon.com it's $95!

I'd also suggest that you find a copy at the library before you decide to purchase it. This is not really a book that you "read". Its more of a reference.

Also be aware, that Ellis is really a starting point for having a understanding of the topics other authors write about.

For example, "The Ineffective Soldier: Lessons for Management and the Nation" by Greenberg, has three books about the US mismangement of its manpower. Really helps in understanding how the US had problems with combat soldiers for 90 divisions, while the Germans and Russians were cranking out hundereds of divisions.