2 questions

xwormwood

--> When and why are there "surprise contacts" with AIR UNITS? Normaly the enemy air unit simply intercepts, even if i didn't knew, that there would be an enemy unit around. But sometimes a "surprise contact" happens, with terrible losses for the attacker.

--> How can British units survive the fall of France? In my opinion all British units in France should dissapear after the french surrender.

Well, I know in some cases when a unit touches an invisible airunit. The AirFleet strikes in it small, usually killing 1 point on it. You'll hear the air noise...

as far as France goes, well, the Brits did a second retreat after Dunkirk, maybe not as spectacular so I disagree about all brit units being killed especially if in port. However!!!

Watch your supply when attacking, always assume with air range tech you're in for it! I never hit anything assuming that there may not be a return strike. You can avoid losing a unit by not attacking ports with Carriers in them. Leaving your air close enough for a counterstrike directly upon your own land...though a good way to mislead your opponent into killing his own air smile.gif

Last time i have seen this "surprise contact" in a pbem game against my brother: i fought as the german player north of Paris when his turn arrived. From England (where he got his English Air Unit and the French Air Unit) he attacked first with his english air unit one of my land units. This attack was intercepted by one of my 3 german air units in this area. So he attacked again with his french air unit, but this time his attack ended in a turkey shot, because his attack wasn't "intercepted", he suffered under a miracelous "surprise contact": all his french pilots went down in flames (literaly spoken) because they obviously were "surprised" by one of my remaining germany air units. Well, even though i was very excited about seeing that this infamous french insects were blasted out of the further struggle it was a strange experience as well, because i have seen such a surprise contact only once before in a game against the AI (in russia) with nearly the same end for the unlucky virtual fellow. So i wonder if it is a bug (because it happens only twice in appr. 30 games) or is it a "special feature" like a lucky shot or a rare attack out of the sun?

Duenkirchen was a far as i can remember before the french surrendered. And maybe i have played a little to often Clash of Steel...

[ March 12, 2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: xwormwood ]