Your biggest Blunder?

Dan Cook

What is your biggest defeat? Mine was playing Germany. I sent my veteran troops against Britain right after France, and got them promply destroyed by the Royal Navy. Britain reinvaded the continent and the Soviets declared war and invaded Prussia. :eek:

I've made two so far:

#1 - after invading France, I began to lay seige to Great Britain while expanding into Yugoslavia and Greece. I was building up for Sea Lion while SLOWLY building up troops on my eastern border - suddenly the USSR declared war on me and swept through what few troops I had there and before I knew it, Europe had been liberated by 1942! I learned at that point that when it says that the USSR is preparing for war, IT'S PREPARING FOR WAR.

#2 - after invading Poland, took Denmark...then got bogged down in an invasion of Norway courtesy of the Royal Navy running amock among my invasion barges. Before I knew it, France suddenly INVADES Germany through the low countries. I couldn't believe my eyes when it happened. France actually violated Belgian and Dutch neutrality to get to Germany!

Transfering two French corps across the Mediteranean to Lebanon, where they joined the corps already there and the British Bomber fleet in a very maddening effort to conquer Iraq before France fell.

They entered Bhagdad as the last French defender awaited it's fate in Paris. The turn ended and I suddenly noticed the Iraqi plunder being rung up in the French totals instead of the U.K's. -- A defeated France that had no more turns of existence remaining!

Somehow the mouse clicked quit and it ended -- bad mouse, naughty-naughty mouse! I thought about restarting the game through autosave, but somehow I couldn't watch the Boche take Paris and get my plunder, Iraq and everything else as a gift.

In an alternate universe somewhere, they're adjusting the blindfold and my batman has tucked the Iron Cross into my left shirt pocket -- the Iron Cross awarded incompetent foes and sneaked in from Germany through the Swiss Embassy -- tucked in nice and neat so the British firing squad that used to salute me every morning will have something to aim at!

[ October 29, 2002, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Originally posted by Carl Von Mannerheim:

In a tcp/ip game, i invaded Sweden, but was rushed into it by the RN, the invasion which was to last 2 turns lasted 8, allowing the Ruskies to dig in in the east. Now i am not sure if i will be able to break the stalemate.

CvM

*cough* :D

"The historical dialectic as propounded by Marx and Lenin, and refined by the Great Comrade Stalin, has proven it's inevitable truth! Even now the Hitlerite invaders have been stopped and our armies prepare for the drive onto Berlin. Know that the Glorious Red Army of Workers and Peasants stands ready to defend the Rodina, Comrade General!"

Originally posted by Flash Gordon:

#2 - after invading Poland, took Denmark...then got bogged down in an invasion of Norway courtesy of the Royal Navy running amock among my invasion barges. Before I knew it, France suddenly INVADES Germany through the low countries. I couldn't believe my eyes when it happened. France actually violated Belgian and Dutch neutrality to get to Germany!

That happened to me once! I just SAT there, jaw agape as French armies marched in to the Low Countries.

Ya know what's cool though? When you "liberate" that place, the ports and cities go up to 10 strength, not the usual 8 when you are the original aggressor. Very nice. smile.gif

My biggest blunder... *thinks* Christ, there's been so many. :D Probably my general failing at handling the RN. In the game above that Carl is talking about, the RN is mostly gutted. Italy owns the entire Med and even the North Sea fleet has suffered some pretty damn substantial losses.

In a PBEM game after evacuating two french armies to England I sort of lost control of my patience as Allied and invaded Norway. :-( To get to the plunder before Germany - but, alas, I had no previous exp. with my opponent and before I knew what happened the British Navy was shot to pieces - and even though I managed to get a shore take Bergen and surround Oslo - I bleed to death in the Norwegian mountains when the German Navy had almost free passage to land in force. The unfortunate venture in Scandinavia and the easy defeat of France led to an invasion in The UK and an upsetting defeat. redface.gif

Very accurate play by my San Diego opponent.

First PBEM game and I'm the Allies. Russia is getting hurt so I plan to launch an early D-Day invasion to take the pressure off of my comrades in arms in Russia. I launch a joint Anglo-American invasion on both sides of Brest and seem to have caught the German off guard. I land all my forces first before moving or fighting except for the American HQ, as there is no empty beach. No worry, I'll bring it ashore after I move the army off the beach. Well I'm happy everyone is ashore except HQ and I'm clicking around to determine the sequence of attack and after I click on the American army that needs to move to make room for my HQ, I acidentally click on a neiboring German corps and thus attack it and freeze the American army. I cant describe the shiver of horror that passed through my spine when I realized that my entire American invasion force would be without HQ support the next turn. The German made quick work of the entire invasion in several turns. ARRRGGGHHH

Originally posted by I/O Error:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Carl Von Mannerheim:

In a tcp/ip game, i invaded Sweden, but was rushed into it by the RN, the invasion which was to last 2 turns lasted 8, allowing the Ruskies to dig in in the east. Now i am not sure if i will be able to break the stalemate.

CvM

*cough* :D

"The historical dialectic as propounded by Marx and Lenin, and refined by the Great Comrade Stalin, has proven it's inevitable truth! Even now the Hitlerite invaders have been stopped and our armies prepare for the drive onto Berlin. Know that the Glorious Red Army of Workers and Peasants stands ready to defend the Rodina, Comrade General!"</font>

Mine is realllly simple... the first time I played Axis with Expert +2.

I seriously underestimated how it would affect the gameplay. I should have picked up when Poland was hurting my airfleets so much, and put up resistance like the French normally do (not too much, but noticably stronger).

After Poland, I continued with my typical invasion of denmark and norway... and bogged down! Surprised, I committed more resources to norway, only to have the french invade the lowlands and begin seige of germany!

This was a long time ago, soon after I received the game (purchased as soon as it was released) and I believe I managed to transfer enough units to hold the french at a stalemate, but could NOT bring enough units to bear to get any momentum. If I focused on airpower, they'd destroy a corps. If I focused on land power, my airfleets would be beat down to useless. No tech advances, no MPP advantage.

And then the USSR declared war. I just quit rather than see my glorious dreams shattered.

And I'm such a wus, I've never played as Expert again.

Jon