Born Again at Prokharovka

Hey Guys, I think this scenario is good with very few dull moments - apparently, it's playing out the way the real battle did although I think I would have achieved more but my troops will not follow my orders (understandable). From the pic below, I'm hung up on that first crest and the germans have a very good defense laid out. Just beyond the crest are panzer Iv's, halftracks and troops and about 1Km back are tigers. So, even if you knock out the panzer Iv's just over the hill, the tigs have you zeroed in at long range. The buffer line (so to speak) of infantry wasn't too bad but getting over that hill with anything is close to impossible and especially when my troops won't follow orders. I think the casualties would be high but breaking the german defense was possible. I still have a lot of turns left but think it's time to call it a day at Prokharovka.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/chuck055/CMAK/BornAgainProkrva1.jpg

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Spoilers to follow.................

#####################

##############

=##########################

##############################

I'd press on with this - there are no Tigers in this, it's your tank crews mis-iding the German tanks. No Tigers were involved in this sector of the front. In reality the Soviets took heavy casulties, but they did wear down the German attack. The same goes for this scenario. This is winnable as the Soviets, but you take enormous casualties. I guess to truly appreciate how the game plays out you do have to see it through.

I've found moving fast and keep moving fast (as the Soviets did in reality) can take you over the next ridge, and also helps do away with the cower factor (which I assume is what you mean by your men not obeying orders). In all likliehood those guys will be taken out, but your next wave should have better luck - and the next wave after that. By that stage the German gun line should be a bit battered and low on AP ammo.

I also use the artillery modules you have to lay down smoke - you just have time this right, that way you can crest the ridge undercover. If you close with the German tanks and make it a knife you negate their long range gunnery advantage. I'd stick with it ;)

Thanks again for your comments and best of luck if you decide to continue with it.

Cheers fur noo

George

Hi George, and thanks!

Yes, I understand your strategy and that is what I was trying to do - send all/most of my armor forward together and at a fast rate that way the germans would have a tougher time with it. But this is where my troops would NOT follow orders! Since when do the russians care about casualties? :rolleyes: So, I started sending a few vehicles at a time or into hull down positions, they were then shot up very badly. There are no tigers? When you click on the AFV's about 1 KM away, it says "tiger"... At this point, I don't think it matters any more what they are. :rolleyes:

The point is, if the russians show up the next day with 50+ tanks, that's is/was the difference.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/chuck055/CMAK/BornAgainProkva2.jpg

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Definitely no Tigers - it's the FOW setting allowing your tankers to mis=id the German Panzer IVs with side skirts as Tigers. This frequently happened hence the myth that there were hundreds of Tigers involved in Kursk, and hundreds KO'd.

There are other options in this action - go down to view level 1 or 2 and you can find some sneaky lines that might just get you into a better firing position ;)

I guess though with this action I was more interested in making an accurate recreation of the actual action than a 'fun' game. The old dilemma of historical Vs Fictional. smile.gif

Thanks agin for your comments.

Cheers fur noo

George

George,

The game ended on turn 42, I had 4 tanks left although I was starting to make some "head way" on the german left flank with my infantry(my right flank). I'm going to play this again although it won't be as exciting as the first battle - the germans are fewer in number but they are not here to play marbles, obviously as I found out.

Charlie

Originally posted by Sportsguy64:

George,

The game ended on turn 42, I had 4 tanks left although I was starting to make some "head way" on the german left flank with my infantry(my right flank). I'm going to play this again although it won't be as exciting as the first battle - the germans are fewer in number but they are not here to play marbles, obviously as I found out.

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Yeah that German panzer gun line can be formidable - timing your arty strike using smoke goes a large way to negating it ;)Just watch out Von Ribbentrop does'nt start potting all your T34s. Best of luck with your next game. I'd be keen to hear how you get on.

Cheers fur noo

George