Joining and Splitting Units

ev

Should the game allow joining and splitting units?

It would be nice to be able to join two experienced units that suffered heavy damage and thus savee my experience level instead of diluting it with green reinforcements.

Also, if I am really short on MPPs and the Brits are about to invade France, and I just had some heavy losses in my subs... does it make sens to reinfroce them? It probably would be more advisable and realistic to join them into one unit.

Units should be adjacent to each other in order to join. Also, units should not be allowed to move or attack on the turn they joined or split. ...but perhaps they should be allowed to reinforce further after joining.

When joining units, the resulting experience level should be the WEIGHTED AVERAGE of the two units.

When splitting units, the resulting experience should be the same as that of the original unit.

I would not allow HQs to split or join.

Originally posted by ev:

Should the game allow joining and splitting units?

It would be nice to be able to join two experienced units that suffered heavy damage and thus savee my experience level instead of diluting it with green reinforcements.

Not a bad idea, i was annoyed by the loss of exp while reinforcing my elite veteran units as well quite sometimes. But on the other hand, its not too unrealistic that the most battle tested fighting formations which suffered heavy losses will be filled up with replacements that never saw action in the field! With increasing losses, High Command will be forced to send less trained youngsters to the front because of the lack of reserves. What should recommend your suggestion is the fact that elite formations will be equipped with the best armament available and so, this fact could be reflected in the large combat experience.

[ November 05, 2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: JayJay_H ]

Thanks for your comments JayJay_H.

Keep in mind a couple of things regarding my suggestion:

First, you need to find two units of the same type that are good candidates to join. Then, in order to join these two units, these units must be brought together. This means that you lose one usefull turn for at least one of them moving it around next to the other one.

Meanwhile, the other unit remains unreinforced. In fact, you may be forced to pull it off the frontline, else it may be eliminated by the enemy. Finally, in the turn you actually join them, you cannot use them either. So you lose another turn worth of their use.

Contrast this with regular reinforcements: they are readily available, hence reinforced units can stay at their assign posts, holding the line. They cannot move or attack, but they hold the line. Which is still a very important function.

If we could play test this idea, I bet you would rarely use it in the middle of a bitter campaign, where reinforcements would be most readily available. However, you could use it after a tough campaign is over. For example the Axis would probably use it right after taking France in 1940.

I think this simulates rather well the options faced by real life desision makers: they can use green reinforcements which is much more expedient, or they can regroup units which takes time and requires to pull units off their assigned job to join them with another unit.

Originally posted by ev:

[QB]Should the game allow joining and splitting units?

QB]

First, I'm not keen on doing anything which enhances experience in this game; I think the effects of it are too dramatic as is. Second, you can largely avoid your problem by the simple technique of not reinforcing your units. I had a game a while back where my (Axis) opponent was beating the hell out of my corps on the Russian front with armies at strength 3 and 4, so I plugged the combat formulas into a spreadsheet and took a look. Some interesting stuff. An army at 3 strength with 3 XP's will inflict the same damage as an army at 10 with 0 XP; the difference is that the former won't suffer any damage.

Here's another interesting little tidbit, for those who've advocated having air fleets reduce the readiness of ground units they attack, instead of causing them to lose strength points: readiness affects the losses that a unit causes, not the losses that it suffers. In other words, a defending unit at 0% readiness will inflict fewer losses on an attacker than a unit at 100% readiness, but there won't be any difference in how many strength points it loses.

I think this is a good question and I am all for being able to join units. Kind of like taking elite formations that have been decimated and pulling them off the front lines to make 'crack' armies for major offensives or to make a defensive stand. Dont see why you shouldnt be able to do this