Operational Planning and Espionage

DevilDog

These are two things that I always wanted in a wargame that fit in to the scale of this one perfectly.

The idea behind Operational Planning would be that you have to set up your attack orders several turns in advance. There would be an optimal time period in order to get everything ready depending upon your infrastructure. However, the longer you prepare the longer you leave yourself open to:

Espionage by the other side. If their intel gathering levels are higher than your defense, or they get a lucky roll they will find out what your plan is and can move to be prepared for it. Of course you could do a fake plan to throw them off balance...

I find that Intelligence is severely undermodelled in most wargames, being limited to Fog of War. What would be nice is to be able to spy on your opponent and find out what kind of unit strength he has in a given theater, if not where each unit is actually stationed.

Anyway, the game looks good and can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

[ May 09, 2002, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: DevilDog ]

Cool idea. The HQ units in SC may be the key. They should be out of sight with FOW on unless spotted by recon or some other intel. Some way of accumulating supply benefits or something over a couple of turns if they don't move could simulate prepping for major operations. Throw in some way to possibly detect the preps, either from the HQ status if spotted or from the forward units' readiness. I made some comments about intel on another thread several days ago which could be tied to this. The whole FOW thing has a lot of potential in SC.

Well, the title of the game is "Strategic Command", so I doubt that operational planning is going to be the subject of in-game espionage, unless you count hacking your opponent's PBEM password.

It is an interesting concept, having to prepare for an operation. In SC the closest we are going to get is probably looking at the deployment on the map (subject to Fog of War limits) and keeping an eye on production to gauge the enemy intent.

I know that Hubert has said that the war commitment levels of the neutral powers will be kept somewhat hidden, but I can't recall if the purchases of your opponent will remain hidden or not.

About the only way I can think of making operational intentions available for a sneak preview would be requiring players to purchase "offensive" options in advance, in order to attack at full strength. These could be assigned to a region or a specific HQ, and the other player would have the chance to buy espionage attempts to see the offensives purchased. Not something that I think should be in SC, but that would be one way to go about simulating planning and intel efforts. The information given could be partial, as in the German player finding out in Spring '44 that the Brits bought an offensive for use in the Summer, but not knowing wether it was purchased for use in North Africa or for D-Day.

An intel attempt could go wrong and give you false information. Fall '44, "No German offensives purchased for use in the West", Monty and Ike plan to go golfing on Christmas....

This made me think of something important. In COS, in the research screen, one could peek at the enemy´s research, the values of which were somewhat "foggy".

I think this should most definitely be in SC, too. As a matter of fact, I hope it already is. smile.gif

As supreme commander, you should have a pretty reasonable grasp on how good the opponent´s stuff is. E.g. if a Panther was captured in the field, or a Me262 was sighted, this information was passed on to the High Commands.

It would be strange if we would always have to guess until the end about whether the opponent has improved antitank abilities, radar etc.

Straha