Move-Attack or Attack-Move

I think that the ground units that start adjacent to enemy units and then attack should be allowed some movement, just as a unit that is not adjacent may move and then attack.

I also don't understand why an air fleet cannot occupy the same hex as a ground unit (not even a measly corps).

My friends and I hope that we can get an explanation.

Originally posted by Jean Lafitte:

I think that the ground units that start adjacent to enemy units and then attack should be allowed some movement, just as a unit that is not adjacent may move and then attack.

I also don't understand why an air fleet cannot occupy the same hex as a ground unit (not even a measly corps).

My friends and I hope that we can get an explanation.

the majority of the above can probably be explained as an attempt to keep the game system simple, once you allow stacking of air and land you will immediately get asked why not 'land/land' stacking, and why cant I move/attack/defend my units as a stack? etc.

The game is meant to be simple and playable, it does this brilliantly so far.

The move-and-attack system of SC is like the one in the original Panzer General. I rather would have liked to have it according to how it was improved for Pacific General: move all your units into position (if you want)and THEN attack. (This would be just one step short of making combined attacks possible btw). The present system is a bit on the unflexible side.

I have to say, though, that SC is so good that I regularily forget this issue after one turn or so ...

Straha

[ July 10, 2002, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Straha ]

i assume that an airfleet also has its ground staff with it in the hex (airfield defense; else it would not be possible to defend against tanks AND throw them back just with planes, that have to refuel on the ground sometimes...) so there is "no space" for other units left. in panzergeneral aircraft have to land on an eirfield sometimes, in sc they have their airfield with them.

I'd also like to see the action point system revised to be more flexible. Units should be able to attack-move, move-attack, or even move-move (ie, extended movement with no attack). Readiness should also be factored into action point expenditure, so units conducting a deliberate attack and then moving would have an advantage over units which move and then conduct a hasty attack. Units which perform extended move-no attack would obviously be able to travel farther, and you may outrun your HQ links at your own risk. This would all help make the game a little bit more dynamic than it already is.

Originally posted by Canuck_para:

I would like to see some revision done to the move system as well. I wish I could move my units out of the way after they have attacked. This is really important in North Africa with it single hex area. I like most of Bill's ideas.

Heck I'd settle for advancing after killing an

enemy unit: I once had a Russian city beseiged,

and with my last unit killed the garrison in the

city. But since the game didn't let me advance

to occupy the city, the next turn the Russkies

just built a new unit in there. [And don't get

me started on building units in enemy ZOCs...] :rolleyes:

John DiFool