Play Balance Issue - Gold Demo

Winterhawk

I've played the demo through to completion numerous times now and I've noticed something that seem to bring the play balance into question. It involves the Ardennes.

Entrenchment values and air interception notwithstanding (all things being equal), a single, full strength British (or French) air unit attacking a full strength German army in the Ardennes results in a 3-4 point loss for the Brits and 0-1 point loss for the Germans. Reverse the situation but the numbers stay the same: 3-4 point loss for the French army and 0-1 for the German air unit.

In fact, it's next to impossible to dislodge a German army once it occupies either of the forest hexes. Multiple attacks with full strength armies c/w air support (including direct attacks with air units) results in alot of dead allies and maybe 1 or 2 points whittled off the German unit. Conversely, I had a full strength French army that was occupying the northern hex completely destroyed by 3 consecutive air attacks from the AI. Hmmm.

Dislodging a German unit from the Ardennes is even more difficult than, when playing as the Germans, pushing a French unit out of the Maginot line. Somehow this doesn't seem right.

Apart from the obvious differences - experience, strength, readiness, etc., is there something being abstracted that determines that one side simply has better units than the other? If again, all things were equal (including terrain), would the German unit always defeat the French (or British) unit?

I've also experienced considerable difficulty dislodging even a Corp-sized German unit from a city. Again, mulitple, same-turn attacks from numerous surrounding units hardly does any damage at all, often only resulting in alot of friendly casualities. Paris, on the other hand, and despite a very entrenched, experienced, army-sized unit in place, falls with relative ease.

Any suggestions or comments would certainly be appreciated. :confused:

At first this was a problem for me too. Then I realized it was the HQ's work. The Germans start out with two relatively good HQ's. The Allies start out with one mediocre Brit in England. To make matters worse, to get another Allied HQ, preferably French for French troops, you have to disband many units. Even then, French HQ's arent that good. So if the Germans are kicking your butt (as they do to me many times) its because of their support from decent HQ's.

Yep, HQ, HQ, HQ. As the Allies, I somehow miraculously found myself with over 500 MPP's for the French. I proptly purchased an HQ, and from then on the war got steadily easier. Especialy when the "Demo Over" message popped up. *Cough*

HQ's. Interesting. To be honest I'd never really considered that, but you're right. The French don't have one, do they? I read the abbreviated, online manual and understand the contribution HQ's make, but how does one determine their radius of effect? And do HQ's provide their bonuses to all units within this radius, regardless of the units force composition? Can you put an HQ to sea? Admirals anyone?

Originally posted by Winterhawk:

The French don't have one, do they?

They have 3 actually.

I read the abbreviated, online manual and understand the contribution HQ's make, but how does one determine their radius of effect? And do HQ's provide their bonuses to all units within this radius, regardless of the units force composition?

When you click on a HQ the units under their command become highlighted.

I've observed the highlighted units, but considering the radius, how far is too far? What are the actual values? It'd be nice to know whether or not that advancing army is about to move beyond the range of the HQ.

And what about the HQ's effect on different types of units? For example, as the Germans I've noticed that when you click on the HQ numreous units 'light up'. Yet some don't, even though they are closer to the HQ than others that have 'lit up'. How do we figure out who supports who?

I've observed the highlighted units, but considering the radius, how far is too far? What are the actual values? It'd be nice to know whether or not that advancing army is about to move beyond the range of the HQ.

And what about the HQ's effect on different types of units? For example, as the Germans I've noticed that when you click on the HQ numreous units 'light up'. Yet some don't, even though they are closer to the HQ than others that have 'lit up'. How do we figure out who supports who?

The HQ command radius extends out to 5 hexes away from it. In addition, each HQ can only command up to 5 units.

As far as I can tell, an HQ picks the closest 5 units. The computer picks HQ's by starting in the upper left corner of the map and goes down each hex column until it finds an HQ. I have not heard a better theory yet, we will see in the docs.

Gorski