1 factor

kossuth

on a scale 1 to ten where 10 is the highest

How much do you hate when you attacked a unit with all you got, exposing units just to kill that enemy and it still remains with just one factor left.

8,5 is my answer

10 -- You're describing every one of my attacks!

Also, when my opponents attack me they never get any damage.

Also my research advances never go anywhere even with 10 chits on one field, often my technology actually goes backwards whil my opponents research always soars ahead.

There are times I wonder if it's a curse or something. ;)

There must be a reason this happens more often to some than to others.

Is there a sequence attacks should be made in? Should it be stronger units attacking before weaker ones, or weaker before stronger ones?

Should ground attacks come before or after air attacks?

Should armor attack before infantry or the opposite?

Should ships attack before or after either ground or air -- ?

Etc & Etc & etc. ...

Yes Jersey John there can be a reason that this happens more often ;) :

Since you see before an attack the expected outcome of a battle (the result varies only +-1 to the expected one), you can see in advance if you have enough firepower to kill an enemy unit.

After the first combat results you can check again if you have enough left for the kill. If you had bad luck with your first attacks, you can abort your attack and use your remaining units for an easier/better target, reinforce or reposition them.

This is better possible if you use the correct attack sequence: first ground units, then the more flexible airfleets. Also against unentrenched units it is usually better to attack with your strongest units first, because then the defenders strength(=readiness) is reduced, so that the next attacker can reach better combat results.

If the defender is entrenched, then it can be bettter to use weak units first (since the first attacks make no damage anyway, so its better not to waste strong units to reduce entrenchment).

So in the end:

If you only attack units that you can destroy, then you need bad luck that it survives at 1 (small chance for units ending at str 1)

But if you attack all units no matter if you can destroy it, then you can have bad luck that it survives (like above), or aditionally you can have good luck that you made more damage than normal so that it has only 1 point left (instead of e.g. 3 or 4).

(higher chance for units ending at str 1)

smile.gif

Originally posted by JerseyJohn:

There must be a reason this happens more often to some than to others.

Is there a sequence attacks should be made in? Should it be stronger units attacking before weaker ones, or weaker before stronger ones?

Should ground attacks come before or after air attacks?

Should armor attack before infantry or the opposite?

Should ships attack before or after either ground or air -- ?

Etc & Etc & etc. ...

It is all about ODDS. For example, If you have 2 air units and Air Unit One give 0-2 odds and air unit Two give 1-1 then it is imperative using the good rounded attack first. When the enemy takes damage, that second air could very well get 0-1 or even 0-2 odds later on.

The odds are rounded and two units with 1-1 odds have exactly same chances in the +1/-1 deviation, so no difference if one of them has a little better stats.

A good GENERAL order of attack is that your expensive units should get the kill and your cheap units should take the higher losses (when a highly readiness enemy is deeply entrenched and will dish out some casualties for a few attacks).

Another thing. Since Naval units do not take damage vs Ground Units, they are great at breaking trenches before the Ground/Air attack follow up.

[ May 02, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Terif

As always, thanks for the play info, I suspected some parts of it like using weak units first to reduce entrenchment, but most of the rest is pretty new to me and I'm sure a lot of other people.

Appreciated. ;)

Zappsweden

Thanks as well, didn't know that -- you and Terif just gave some of the best tactical information I've seen in a very long time.

Always Appreciated. smile.gif