Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

SC - Allied Polish Strategies

Edwin P.

It seems to me that most Allied players accept the fact that Poland will fall in 2 or 3 turns and rely on 2 core strategies for defending Poland - The typical defense of Poland while replacing losses and the defense of Poland without replacing losses.

Occassionaly I will use a third strategy, Hide & Seek, if playing with FOW ON and the German player failed to press his assualt on turn one and transfers units west to deal with a potential Dutch Gambit. In this strategy I attempt to hide some of my surviving units along the most distant reaches of the polish border (ie Hex 44,15 & hex 44,10) which are outside the spotting range of German units occupying Warsaw. Occasionaly this delays the fall of Poland until turn 4 or 5 with this strategy. In one case the German player was unable to find the unit in hex 44,15 until Poland surrendered on turn 5 as he focused his units in northeast Poland and ignored the area to the southeast.

Are there any other strategies for delaying the fall of Poland after the loss of 2 or 3 Polish units on turn 1?

[ May 04, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Couple possibilities, occuppy Mountain hexes and cut supply best you can and as you say retreat as far as possible...I'm not absolutely sure of it but I think that if you operate the Polish Airforce out of Poland if it remains at strength 5 may delay the fall a turn or two...depending

As I've seen people do it...I really think it's best to sap<cut off Danzig, cut off any German troops and assualt those expensive tank/army/HQs as much as possible, rarely can you delay fall of Poland with an experienced Axis player.

Thanks for the tip about operating an air unit out of Poland.

I just tried 3 games against the AI to test the hide strategy and found out that the AI stops looking for more Polish units if it has taken Warsaw and can't see any Polish units in its spotting range (ie within 2 hexes).

In fact, with 1 full strength corps in hexes 41,17 (mountain) and (43,16) and a 2 strength air unit in Hex (44,10) the AI transfered all German units to the Western front and Poland did not Surrender until June 9, 1940.

Further more, since Poland did not fall the AI apparantly kept battering itself against the Maginot line. It did not attack Belgium.

Question: Does the AI only attack Belgium after Poland surrenders?

Also by this time Russian Readiness was at 68% (US readiness was 0%).

I will have to outlaw this "cheese tactic" in my games against the AI. Although effective, it makes for too easy a win.

Probably the only way to fix this is to add a Polish infantry units destroyed counter to the AI. The AI would seek out Polish units until Poland surrendered or all Polish units were destroyed, except for the air unit which could be in the UK or France.

[ May 04, 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Usally I just suicide attack the German Tank unit's, esp. if one damaged itself slightly attacking one of my own unit's. But I will have to try out your Idea to delay the fall of poland,

The only strat that I can think of off hand without going in-game is to force the British/French Fleet into the Baltic to harras and distract German unit's In Poland, while hiding some polish unit's like you have stated. Of course, you will trade ship strengths, and possibly whole ships, for time, However, if these are mostly french ships taking the damage, it doesn't matter all that much since many will be gone, unused, after france Surrenders.