Z-League request, "Need longer days idle time before dropping in rankings"

Hi Zapp & Z-League players,

I would like to request that the length of time of "Days Idle" before ranking drops be extended. The current length is 14 days.

The purpose of the rule is simple, you can't sit on your butt living on past victories & expect to hold you rank. We had a similiar rule in the original Ladder of you must play one game a month minimum before falling.

The bad news is: I find it tough sometimes to finish a game in time. Twice I almost missed the deadline. Why did I almost miss the deadline? It has been difficult to finish some longggg games. People in different time zones, families, the summer weather, etc. It seems like weekends is when all the action is (as is the entire weekend when people are available).

The last game I played to barely make the cutoff was against Zapp. I played like a Rambo pyscho, because I was going to drop anyways if I didn't finish that weekend. Of course the rating doesn't drop with inactivity, but the rank is where the glory is.

The good news: We have a great system (Thanks Zapp & players). There are no deadbeats & no draft game dodgers.

My proposal: Extend the "Days Idle" to 24 days if possible. This gives you 3-full weekends to get you game in. Most the games seem to be played on weekends. So if you finish then your game on a weekend, you will have 3 more weekends to complete your next game.

Also: Is there a way to turn OFF the "Days Idle" for a player for a small period of time (like 1-vacation request a year)? People who are legit, with good reputation, & a good gaming name go on vacations, holidays, etc. Companies give you a vacation, so should Z-League without a penalty.

Personally, I have a new nephew to visit, golf tourneys, & vacation. I'm sure others have a time crunch somewhere. By the way, is it true that Euros really get 6-weeks vacation a year? How long is your work week? 40 hours?

The other good news of the wargame world is we're not a bunch of lawyers (maybe you are, I'm not). If see a deadbeat, dodger, or cheater, we'll call them out on the carpet. So don't worry about corner cases on the rules. We don't have any problems now, but if we do (somebody who manipulates laws against the intent), they will get smacked on the Forum.

Please comment & express your opinions about this rule change (if Zapp can even do it) or anything else in Z-League.

Doing my job,

Rambo-Hollywood-Vegas

[ July 01, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

I vote with Rambo for extending the days idle to 24 = 3 weekends.

Rambo:

Would be good, but unfortunately it seems not to be possible (as far as I know) to implement a "vacation time out" in the system (technical issue).

BTW: 4 weeks holidays in Germany are minumum, set by law. But standard in many companies are 6 weeks. Sometimes the length increases from 4-6 depending on how long you worked for the company (in years). The "age" system is used in the public sector: your holidays depend on how old you are.

Working time depends on the branch/company: between 35-45 hours usually. Exceptions proof the rule ;) . In Germany exists around 1300 - more or less different - collective agreements, that determine working time and holidays. And it can also depends on your individual treaty.

[ July 02, 2003, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Hi Commissioner Zapp,

Thanks for your quick action & follow-up regarding this issue, lets see how 21-days go. If the other 3-days is a big deal, it sounds like you can adjust if necessary (And if it meets the League & Commissioner's approval).

------------------------------------------------

By the way here are my current games in progress with status:

SandCastle --- We played like 4 week nights in a row, then I haven't seen you online. You have a slight air advantage with the Allies, but I have some advangtages myself. I smell a major battle for us coming soon. I think the time is late '41.

Zapp --- Gotta be nice to have the tech edge, I could use a dice roll. Standard cookie cutter game, but I haven't helped me myself either. You have the edge. Summer '41.

Leopard --- You have the Allies & have some work to do in France. June '40.

Private Joe --- My Axis forces have put a big dent into the UK navy. Spring '41, interested in playing, don't really remember all the details.

CvM --- You donated France to me, I don't recommend that. Summer '40.

Codename Clone --- We had a game going, I see you dropped out of the Z-League. The game was even (though you said you'd kick my butt). This game is done regardless, you're gone.

Just taking inventory of my games. If anybody wants to set up a time to play, please let me know.

Rambo-Hollywood-Vegas