"The old community hanging around here."

JerseyJohn

"Even if it might mean "disturbance" to the old community hanging around here."

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I didn't realize we were just "hanging around here." I honestly thought we were helping to promote the game, and also Battlefront.

[ August 26, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

I thought so too. I also figured that since we "know" some of the people and consider them "friends" it would be ok to see a few off topic posts as long as they didn't cause trouble. God forbid someone new stumble onto the SC forum and see some social interaction between players! When playing new games I always make sure my opponents are quiet people devoid of personality. Yes there is the other forum, but I don't know the regulars there. While I don't post any silly or off topic threads I do enjoy reading them especially the ones that come from people I played against. Now that my collage classes have started again I wont be "hanging" around here much anymore anyway. If everyone did the same what whould be the point of this forum in the first place?

[ August 26, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Panzer39 ]

Yep, social interaction is good. There is plenty of it in the other forums, and it works. It's when the ratio of social interaction vs. on-topic stuff is 90:10 that it becomes a problem. Or when the social interaction includes posting absolute nonsense. This has been too often the case around here in the past, and we're going to change it. If it means that there will be 90% less posts here from now on (or 90% more locks until everybody violating the rules is banned), so be it. We'll start from scratch if we need to.

The SC community here is open to everybody. It should remain accessible to everybody, and wading through dozens of personal messages, irrelevant pictures or off-topic ramblings is not going to encourage new players to join. If you want to promote SC as a fan, talk about it. A lot of VERY interesting stuff has been debated here in the past, a lot of great suggestions came out of it, so I know that it's possible to "adjust" the tone here on the forums without excessive measures.

I'll keep this thread open for now. We don't want to silence anybody. Even though, I have a feeling we'll regret it. Prove me wrong.

Martin

Martin

Thanks, a great response and along the lines of what I was hoping you'd say.

Yes, agreed, a lot of what has been posted was too outlandish to be tolerated and at times, even if I haven't started such threads I've posted in them, usually to clarify an issue and not to aggravate a problem.

It's always possible a Thread will move out of bounds and then it should be locked, and that includes this one. But it's to your credit that you left this one open; as usual, if I wore a hat it would be off to you. This is the proper way to clear the air and stop misunderstandings before they can start.

Thanks for clarifying the situation, I'm sure we're all on your side. Which happens to be our side as well.

[ August 26, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

This post would've been up about two hours sooner, but my grandfather wanted to look up information on one of our relatives that won the Victoria Cross in WWI.

I am a moderator on one forum and have moderated two others in the past. I was invited to moderate these and was not self-appointed. Two of the forums had posts that numbered into the hundreds of thousands (no, I'm not exaggerating), so these were not small forums. Rarely if ever were my actions criticised by either members or fellow moderators. When they were, I apologized for any misunderstandings on my part.

As I saw it, unless a topic was offensive, vulgar, or insulting, it was okay. There were always some that were off-topic, and I moved some of them to where they belonged, but I didn't usually mess with topics that were popular, good-natured, and positive. When a post within a topic was vulgar in some way, I often exercised my right as a moderator and edited or deleted that post instead of deleting or locking the entire thread. Punishing the whole class for one student's offenses does no good.

Sometimes, however, such as in the case of Lucky Zebra, deletion and/or locking of entire topics is understandable and well-founded. I have noticed, however, that locking a topic is the most enraging thing a moderator can do. The topic remains there, mocking the posters that contributed to it before it was locked and acting as a billboard announcing a moderator's sovereignty and making sure that everone remembers who is in charge. I understand the moderators' desires to keep this forum well-organized and on-task.

In a perfect world, all posts would be entirely on-topic, stimulating, concise, entertaining, and appropriate. Unfortunately, as much as every responsible moderator wishes it, this cannot always be so. There's nothing wrong with running a tight ship, but every good captain knows that there must be a balance between morale and discipline. Let the crew slack too much and have too much fun and the ship will never leave port which benefits no one. Crack down too hard on the crew and you'll end up like Captain Bligh. There has to be a balance.

This post is not meant in any way as a slight against the moderators or criticism. I know how difficult it can be to keep a forum clean and on-topic. It is not intended to be in any way negative nor was it written in a conceited fashion. It is simply meant to be considered.

Logan Hartke

EBTHB.gif

More meat and potatoes?

And less of... the fluff-stuff & truffles?

Hey, no problem... although, I'll probably get

cholesterol and blood-clots in the arteries,

Then I'll die at 39... and that's some while ago,

but, at least,

I can continue to post as a ghost! :eek:

It's like I used to tell old top-sergeant,

whenever he'd send me... deep into grief:

Say What, Kick?

Well... A-OK, I can easy enough see

that you've got... them up & down stripes,

And all I got... is... side-by-side

glistening teeth... :D

Logan

Agree 100% with Curry on your post.

Immer

I'm shocked that in the Army sergeants are given such dictatorial powers -- in the Air Force we did everything through a civilized committee discussion. I mean, unless the sergeants showed up. ;)

Speaking of "old" friends...hello again to some of my old friends in here. I've been travelling around so haven't been in here for some time. It's nice to see some familiar "faces" again.

Re Ryder Cup: GO USA!

And please try to keep the forum open as much as possible...I've learned a lot from this forum!