A Week's Worth

Desert Dave

... and what is the upshot? Eyestrain, lower back ache, electrical activity in the brain patterned after a new-born Super Nova... but, I do believe it's worth it.

smile.gif

The Demo just didn't provide the tremendous scope of this gargantuan conflict. :cool:

Have finally gotten to Expert +2 while playing the Axis, though with a few historical touches that I prefer.

Britain: delete one carrier (... the subs still don't have much chance until a higher tech level can be obtained... ), add a cruiser to the Med -- AI just WILL NOT reinforce the naval effort there, even if being decimated.

France: delete one corps and army, and add full strength Tank unit.

Germany: delete one corps and add a Strategic Bomber, representing those weirdly! whistling Stukas. I make the tanks 11-strength, since the blitz technique, as perfected by Guderian, is otherwise hard to replicate in the pre-Russian invasion years.

Options: FOW is on, otherwise the naval war is not ANY fun. USA entry is historical. IMO, they would not have gone to war over Sweden or Iraq or any other European minor.

No Free French. I do not recall them making an impact in naval or air forces until much later, and even that was token and symbolic. Siberian transfer OK. All partisans allowed. Scorched earth -- have to have it.

General Observations:

A) France is impossible to blitz (in 6 weeks) at this level, since they buy a HQ and use their Air Fleet, Tanks, and BB to great effect. I usually lose 2-4 ground units, have my Air almost decimated and it usually takes 4-7 months, depending on dice-rolls, to take Paris. The difficulty here -- it is hard to build up experience points when so many reinforcements water-down the hard-gained level.

B) The AI tactic of invading Brest piecemeal should be changed in a patch, else the Allies are rarely, if ever, going to challenge in the West. And what happened to invasion of North Africa? I have never seen it happen.

C) Russia is very very tough, and you have to plan and think and keep your forces nearly up to full strength or you will lose just enough to be eventually engulfed by the raging Red beserkers.

Overall, I haven't succumbed to that "one more turn" syndrome to this extent since Civilization II first came out. This game is far, far superior to COS or HC or any other WWII GS game you care to name. ;)

There can be some minor alterations that will make it brilliant and unchallenged for a long long time.

But, I am thrilled to have it as it is. smile.gif

i have never felt the desire to play just _one more turn_ this much in my life

this is a ridiculous statement but I think that Hitler and company must have felt the same way. the feeling that the next round would surely bring them the victory that they were so sure of.

thanks to all who contributed to this project.