Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Moscow isolation and Russian reinforments

Oblio

I am quite new to this game, and discovered by chance playing pbem with a friend that Axis can exploit the "need connection to capital" rule in Russia if they isolate Moscow but don't take it, then quite easily capture Stalingrad and Sverdlovsk without bothering of Russia purchasing new corps. Meanwhile, Germany can quietly sit around Moscow and crush any desperate Russian counter attack.

This rule might be fun the first time, but I guess is it far from any historic reality in the case of Russia, nor it is in the game's interest.

Do you forbid such tactics in your games ?

Normally Axis has no advantage from not taking Moscow and when the russian player knows he can not build any more when loosing connection to his capital he usually can and will prevent it smile.gif .

Russia only has to place some corps east/northeast of Moskov and protect the area northeast of the river - so Axis has no real choice than to take Moskov first since they have no attack hexes north/northeast of it (BTW: behind rivers are the best defensive positions and Russia should always use its natural defence lines).

Besides, when Moskov is threatened, Siberians arrive and with these forces Russia should have enough power to make the way free to Moskow in case Axis surounded it (they have an excellent attack position behind the river, HQ support, supply and even start with experience).

If Russia is not able any more to establish a connection to their capital, then war is over anyway within the next few turns. But Axis needs Moskov as supply source when they want to advance to Urals. If they don´t take it, Russia can´t build any more, but probably it costs them even more time since they have no supply east of Moskov without taking the capital...

Anyway, since you know you have to protect your connection/capital, it is extremely unlikely that Axis manages to surround Moskow without taking it. Like most things, you make the mistake once and then you have learned not to do it again ;) .

BTW: if you want you can forbid it in your games, but as far as I know it is usually not forbidden - perhaps because it nearly never happens smile.gif

(standard rules are: no Rome gambit and eventually: no amphibious landings in Italy/Russia in the first turn of DoW)

Thanks for the Moscow defense tips.

I hope your taking care of my second question in between smile.gif

Actually, my thought were you have to defeat the Siberians before you do it ! Finally I agree that it was just a question of saving time, it is true that the game should be virtually over at that stage except if Allies have already crossed the Rhine.

This is a well known "feature"/BUG. You need a connection to a capital to build units. This can happen in France short before the fall of France during a Sealion in England and like you noticed in Rusia. Since most players know this bug the simply don´t let it happen that the axis encircles the capital. In other words when the axis is able to surround moscow Rusia is doomed anyway. Though normally there is no need to forbid especially this move

I took nearly all of Russia including Moscow from Terif one game. Didn't help, Allies grabbed Rome & had 6+ carriers, 6+ airfleets, & a powerful American Army which worked it's way into Germany. I had the MMP lead, but Terif had all the power, despite Russia being crushed. I think Russia surrendered a few turns before I surrendered.

Yoda, Yoda, Yoda, never assume you win if Russia is headcracked.

assume = don't make an ass + u + me.

I dont want to doubt you john J But surely with the additional Russian income you can shore up the Italain defences, or, defend the Rhich by transfering the German forces used in Russia, surely then it must be a matter of time before an Axis victory with the collosal German MPPs????