Operate moves when surrounded

Yohan

I had an interesting event happen. I attacked Spain and killed the unit in Madrid but was unable to move a unit in. I had 3 units around it (for total ZOC coverage) and the German operated a couple of units in.

I think this is a bit much. There should be a ZOC check IMHO. If the city is surrounded by units or their ZOC you should not be able to operate in. In many wargames you can't "Operate, SR" or whatever into any ZOC at all.

If you completely cutoff the unit in that city, take a look at the hex control markers this will not happen. Keep in mind though that at the end of each turn, adjacent enemy hexes to a city or resource that are not occupied by one of your units will have control returned to the owner of the city or resource, so cuting off a unit in a city may have to be a couple of hexes deep to have the full effect.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

A like situation happened to me when, as Allies, I attacked Greece. I had four corps surrounding the capital that eliminated the defender, but had no corps available for occupation. The Axis turn brought the Italians into the game and they transported an army into the capital after clearing a path with their navy. While I was greatly disappointed, within the scale of the game I agree this is plausable, especially since I could have better protected the approach with my navy if I'd anticipated the Italian entry into the game. War is hell.