Who was that masked player?

Archibald

A word of advice to anyone hosting TCP/IP. Before you begin play, chat with your opponent so you know who you've beaten before he bails out in a sulk because he's losing. ;)

I've just spent four and a half hours playing an obviously very experienced player with an aggressive and dramatic style of play. He tried and failed with the Italian Gambit and gave me a hell of a time in France, but in the process over committed the British so much that I was able to launch Sea Lion before I'd even finished taking France. Once I took the UK in June 1941 I asked for a break via the chat function and was studiously ignored while he plotted a daring combined Russian-Yugoslav assault on the previously neutral Rumanians. I tried again when it was my turn and was again ignored. I even resorted to repeatedly typing "hello!" in different chat windows to fill his screen with text and gain his attention in case he had the sound turned down. Once again I got no reply. Just as I was finishing off my turn, which had seen me temporarily open a corridor to a beleagured Rumania and operate in enough reinforcements to hold out until the Luftwaffe arrived from the conquered UK in overwhelming strength, the connection was broken.

I may be paranoid, but when someone I'm on the verge of beating refuses to reply to me and we lose the connection immediately I forestall his last chance of forcing a stalemate I tend to fear the worst. I know I shouldn't be peeved, as I'd effectively won the game. I'mjust annoyed at the bad manners of a bad loser.

I have a shrewd idea who I was playing, but I won't name names without definite proof. I'm also not inviting speculation from others either privately or on the forum as to whom it might have been. All I would say is at least find out who you're playing, so that you're not left with the sour taste I was.

That's my rant over. I feel much better now. Thank you for listening and we return you to the normal forum. smile.gif

[ January 14, 2003, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

If anyone ever wants to play me they can.

I likely suck, and I don't spend much time on moves, because I learn more in 10 frantic games then I do in one dragged out thoughtful one.

I play based on feelings, and I rarely bother to get into technical games.

No one is going to learn any "Gambit" games off of me, but they will have to accept I sometimes get lucky.

The only time I read a manual, is when all my cool moves seem to suck hehe.

I learn from my mistakes, and I prefer to make as many as fast as possible.

Why wait till SC2 comes out to play the game a dozen times eh.

Originally posted by kenfedoroff:

Archibald

Most likely a spy checking out your game before the big tournament.

Sincerely,

"Paranoid in Plymouth"

You do wonder... I've just read an AAR which is almost a mirror of the game I played as the Axis. They open my mail when I'm not looking you know. ;)

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1b:

If anyone ever wants to play me they can.

I likely suck, and I don't spend much time on moves, because I learn more in 10 frantic games then I do in one dragged out thoughtful one.

I play based on feelings, and I rarely bother to get into technical games.

No one is going to learn any "Gambit" games off of me, but they will have to accept I sometimes get lucky.

The only time I read a manual, is when all my cool moves seem to suck hehe.

I learn from my mistakes, and I prefer to make as many as fast as possible.

Why wait till SC2 comes out to play the game a dozen times eh.

I'd happily give you a game Les, as I'm another old 3R diehard who's experienced the horror of rolling two sixes in a row in a 2-1 on Gib. smile.gif TCP/IP, Standard '39 scenario, your choice of sides. Let me help convince you of SC's merit!