Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tweaking the AI

Desert Dave

In a recent game I discovered that the Russian AI WILL put up a pretty stout defense of the Urals, but still seems not to care about all of those resources in the Caucasus region (only one corps in the entire area).

The AI held off the German onslaught in the Urals for a good while because they had built a few corps, which were extremely difficult to dislodge from the mountains. Problem was, the front line consisted mostly of HQs, with high entrenchment levels -- maybe the corps could be on placed on the mountains, and the HQs shielded behind?

If the Russian AI would also employ this kind of tactic in the Caucasus you would delay the end-game even more.

The Russians should get gradually stronger, as long as they can hold on, so the reduction of MPPs by half once Moscow is surrounded really hurts them (... and results in gamey strategies). Maybe this could be re-considered?

Anything to give the Western Allies more time to establish and break out of the 2nd Front would help. smile.gif

Hi Immer,

What version are you playing so I can gauge the recent changes? I have a short list of tweaks I am considering but I don't think they will be seen until after TCP/IP as this is at the top of the priority heap right now, but I might be able to sneak in a few changes before then ;)

Hubert

As originally posted by Hubert Cater:

What version are you playing so I can gauge the recent changes?

Welcome back! smile.gif

V 1.03 Expert +2. All options in favor of the Allies, though mostly I play without Free French.

On average, Russia holds on until about July-August '43 (... and 2nd Front always fails due to premature? France landings -- and Italians have become too strong in Med, so that narrows and complicates Allied intentions -- maybe the Allies are preparing another invasion, but by that time it is usually too late).

Welcome back! smile.gif
Thanks!

v 1.03 Expert +2. All options in favor of the Allies, though mostly I play without Free French.

On average, Russia holds on until about July-August '43 (... and 2nd Front always fails due to premature? France landings -- and Italians have become too strong in Med, so that narrows and complicates Allied intentions -- maybe the Allies are preparing another invasion, but by that time it is usually too late).

OK sounds like the AI might never be enough of a challenge for you ;) , but good news is that even as I play the game I always see things that can be improved and so will probably continue to make adjustments here and there with the goal of consistent improvements in mind. Quick question, when was the second front launched approximately?

Hubert

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

I agree, although admittedly I am only playing Inter +1 v1.03 smile.gif

The Western Allied landings (usually in summer of 42) are a nuisance at best.

re Russia; On one occasion I did get into a real piss fight in the Caucasus region after doing a southern spearhead through Russia. I think that the good number of units and a HQ that were there (including 3 air fleets) got cut off from access to Moscow. Needless to say they put up a stout defense in the mountainous region.

regards,

Ray

As originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Quick question, when was the second front launched approximately?

Usually no later than July-August of '41. Sooner if the dice rolls are fortuitious. smile.gif

(... due to commitments, I'll be off line from Now! -- gotta go! until tomorrow, but will check then... )

[ August 29, 2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Immer Etwas ]