Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Need hints on Poland campaign and dutch gambit

Kuniworth

Playing Rambo(allies) I´m facing trouble early on. I put all effort into Poland in order to destroy them quickly which failed due to unlucky dice roll and they held out until turn number 4.

On his second move Rambo did the dutch gambit and first on turn 4 I attacked the low countries. So now I´m hacking my way down to Paris slowly but steadily while he is retreating in good order.

This keeps me wondering about the polish campaign. Is it any point to try to finish them off early anyway? And is the dutch gambit something to fear. Should I have moved my troops and air to the belgian border on turn 1 to avoid this(which zapsweden usually does) and keep on dragging it out in Poland.

I guess I would like to know if its out to date to pounce the polish armies hard with everything you got the first 2-3 turns?

Puniworth --- Let me know when you can continue. I just got back from vacation last night when we started. I can play between 8:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. Forum time during the week. I have a golf tourney on Saturday, but weekends I can set up a time.

Trying to make easy for people to play,

Rambo-Hollywood-Vegas

Kuniworth,

Here's my 2 cents worth regarding Poland and the Dutch Gambit:

I think the Dutch Gambit is definitely something to be feared. It means that Axis loses time and plunder, both of which it can ill afford to lose.

The best way, I think, to counter the Dutch Gambit is for Germany to declare war on the Low Countries in turn 2 and take it that turn.

The key is for Axis to take out Poland, Denmark and the Low Countries in 4 moves. If Germany takes the Low Countries in turn 2 and Poland in turn 4 (while preventing the Dutch Gambit in the process) that is just as good in my opinion as taking Poland in turn 2 and the Low Countries in turn 4.

Oak

On the first move you operate the northern German tank and the Runstedt HQ to the west, and move 2 of the air so they can all attack Brussels. Then, in turn 2, the air and tank knock out Brussels and you move a corp into Brussels. So, you only take the air and tank out of the battle against Poland ... with the air helping against Poland in moves 3 & 4.

Originally posted by Oak:

On the first move you operate the northern German tank and the Runstedt HQ to the west, and move 2 of the air so they can all attack Brussels. Then, in turn 2, the air and tank knock out Brussels and you move a corp into Brussels. So, you only take the air and tank out of the battle against Poland ... with the air helping against Poland in moves 3 & 4.

I think you operate too few units. The french and UK airfleet will intercept the first 2 german airfleets and leave the tank and 1 air to do the job. You need more forces. Besides when you move on LC your air will be available in Poloand first on turn 4, and then it may be just to late, russia war-readiness will increase. Besides operating the airforce back and forth will cost you 200 MMP, almost the plunder you get for LC.